Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got our cell bill and I'm so impressed!! Its only $128!! I know that seems like alot but its for two phones. I decided I wanted to try and get it lower so I cancelled some extras we didn't use and told DH not to call long distance so much. Normally its at 160-180!!

We're on contract so we can't all out cancel. I tried to cheapen our plan but they don't have it anymore and its the best for us. DH and I can call eachother from anywhere in Canada for free which is good because he travels alot. We got the phones because we can't have a landline in our apartment!!

But still, so excited!!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I know what you mean, my DH and I have cell phones and our bill is $75 a month but we too are in a contract and if we cancel we get charged $150 a phone so we will keep the service. :)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad you were able to get those "extras" knocked off your bill. Every little bit helps! You are doing great!

We just renewed our 2 year contract with Verizon only because we are grandfathered in with our plan. I don't know if any other company will match it. We have 4 phones on our plan and keep it under $100. DH and my phone's are $59.99 a month and the other 2 phones are add a line for $9.99. We have one of the lowest plans and we never go over minutes because the boys know to use it only after nine and on weekends unless they are calling us or anyone else who has verizon, which is free. They also know they are not allowed to text either. The thing I like about Verizon is we can call anyone, anytime, anywhere on another Verizon plan and it is free. All of my family has Verizon and live long distance, so I use my Verizon cell to call them on their Verizon cell and it is free! It sure helps on long distance bill.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good job on cutting out extras and getting your bill down lower. It sounds like you're getting totally screwed on your rate, though, yowza! Have you looked into other plans for after your contract is up? Hubby and I only pay like $80 a month, and that is for 3 phones (his mom is on our plan too), includes unlimited text messaging, and has more minutes than we ever use.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congrats!! You must feel alot better!!!:hurray:

We cancelled DH's cell phone and save 70.00 a month now.
Feels really good!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked into other companies and even plans with the company we're with. But they got rid of our current plan,which allows DH and I to call eachother free from anywhere in Canada, which we use so much its unbelievable. The bill really should be lower than $100 but DH uses the long distance a little more than I prefer...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
DH and I have Cingular, 2 phones, more minutes than we can ever use and unlimited free calling to anyone else with Cingular. (Which happens to be everyone he works with because that's what the company uses and almost all our long distance family members) Cingular plans also include roll over minutes and we've kept our really old plan because the minutes build (new plans only let you rool over a full months worth of minutes) and we might add another phone for my father. We pay between 76.00 and 79.00 a month depending on the taxes. $59.99 for the first phone and $9.99 for the additional line.
We also hve our original phones as the tech told us we were crazy if we got new ones because these old ones re virtully indestructable. I'm gald we listened. (knocking on wood) They have been through the mill. Mine has been submerged both in spackle and in paint, fallen on the concrete inumerable times, and suffered routine abuse for severl years now. I can't see the numbers anymore but it's like the energizer bunny. :bunny:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
WTG! That is a nice savings. :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a cingular phone and use a prepaid plan. If I pay $100 my minutes don't expire (under a $100 and they expire every 3 months if you do not renew before they do) and I just use them til they are gone. Since I use this phone primarily for emergencies, a contact number for the schools and telling DH where we are i.e. not for conversations with people, this $100 should last me many many months if not an entire year.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
We use prepaid. We bought dh phone, it was pricey $200 less a $50 minutes credit, however that was nearly 7 years ago, and we pay $10/mo for his. For mine, we bought it for $99 got a $75 credit for time, and pay $10/mo to maintain time. Dh uses his phone more, so occasionally we pay $20 for the month, but rarely. I always build a balance. Over all we pay $20/mo which is less than a plan for 1, even the most basic paln is $50/mo.

Good job on reducing the costs. Contract is a contract!

·
Registered
163 Posts
we have cingular and we are on the family plan with my Mother in law and her bf so we have 3 phones, and our bill is only $40 a month. and thats even if we have a bill that month, we dont use all 900 minutes but they all rollover and my MIL wont change the plan to less minutes

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have Sprint and love it. My fiance is on my plan, so with two phones sharing 500 minutes with unlimited nights and weekends after 7pm and nationwide free long distance with NO ROAMING FEES (thank goodness) our bill is around $50 a month. We do not text or call 411 ever. I signed us up for online billing and saved $5 a month. The company I used to work for had a nationwide volume discount, and I am still signed up for that. It works well for us. In a few years I will add his son to our plan for $9 a month.

Also, all our calls to each other's cell and anyone else with Sprint (including my best friend) are free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts