Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did searches and couldn't find a kith for people who work at home, so I thought I'd start one. Kiths don't seem to be all that active, but maybe we can change that.

I'm a novelist who works from my home office. Like many writers, I'm not rich, but I keep it going. I'd like to integrate more organic lifestyle into my life, focusing on simplicity and enjoying my home (because, really, I'm here all the time!). Right now, my elderly father lives with me, but I'm trying to move him to a retirement community. We also have very different tastes in food and "fun", and it means he interrupts me to ask weird questions while I'm working.

Just thinking daily updates, general sorts of progress reports, how working at home affects your life, and what you do to live more frugally and simply.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I work from home as well running our welding company...I get to do alot of volunteering with my DD's school and the local SPCA...really happy. Welcome to FV you will love it here...What topics do you like to write about?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I have worked from home for over 10 years now. I currently sell online, have a display of key chains and dorags at my local independent motorcycle shop, do petsitting AND to get me out of the house on occasion I work PT at the motorcycle shop if they need me. I also am a mentor for a disabled online users group. I teach the disabled to sell online. I also answer surveys online to earn a little extra money.

I love being home the majority of the time. I am always looking for ways to be green and recycle. I cook mostly from scratch; so being home is nice. I bake my own bread also.

I am not rich, but I make enough to pay my share of the bills. We are pretty much debt free except for our mortgage. I used to work in the corporate world. I don't miss that rat race, the commute, the pantyhose, or the makeup - LOL!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have worked from home since 1997.. now I just sit at the computer and stare .. :-( The website I work for is closing shop end of month. No business.. Currently I'm trying to cobble together other work online, but it's sketchy and not much going on.

Very sad to see my work disappear. Saturated market plus poor economy, stiffer competion.. it's a new world for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What topics do you like to write about?
I write fiction novels, and mostly I write young adult action adventure, ya sci fi, ya fantasy, and then I'm working on a family dramedy that I hope will kinda cross generational lines. It's kind of "whatever inspires me at the moment". The series I have out is a young adult spy series. Book 2 is about to go on the market.

I'm not sure I could go back to a "real job" either. My last one was awful. The administrator made it clear that we were expendable, and there was so much backstabbing and lying going on in the staff because people will do ridiculous things to keep their jobs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today was totally a bust since I had to spend three hours getting my driver's license renewed. They are now requiring "secure" licenses, which means we have to go in person to renew them and bring half of our house as proof.

Came home and completely passed out from exhaustion....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My manuscript went to the editor Friday, and I spent all weekend at a conference. I'm working this week on a new project, but in a much lighter way than I have been in a couple months. I'm also catching up on social media and working on my website, which I need to transfer to a new host because my current one is terribly slow.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I work from home as well. We have a in home family daycare in our lower level of our house. I started doing this June 1st, 2010. Now we are expanding it to accommodate 12 kids instead of the 6 we have now. I love not having a specific uniform and being able to work in my slippers. These are my two favorite things. Lol!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
YAY! I just poked my head in 'kiths' wondering if there were other writers in this community. I work from home as an indie author, which means lots of work, and lots of ups and downs. I've been published less than a year, and I am lucky enough to be able to give it a go while I'm home with the kids as we live off of hubby's income. DD goes full time next year, and she's the youngest, so I'd like to get to the point where my income is decently stable and matches, if not exceeds, the income a steady part-time job outside of the home would bring. I've got another year or two to assess if that's going to work or not.

It's challenging on many fronts, so thus far very rewarding. I write fiction in various genres. I look forward to hearing how everyone's doing with their work-at-home, because while it's nice to not have to 'report' to work every morning, it's got its own challenges.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hmm, I hadn't seen this thread. I work from home, and I also am a stay at home mom so my work days tend to start at 8 and go until midnight... just to get a 7-8 hour day in. I have a 10 month old.

For work, I'm a web developer, I started freelancing on oDesk and vWorker a couple years ago, and it progressed and now only about 60% of my work comes through oDesk and about 40% actual outside business. I make significantly more than if I worked minimum wage (which is all I would have qualified for with my resume), and now I've built up more of a resume. I'm looking forward to my husband quitting his job in the next couple years and working for my company so we can be fully flexible. The thing for me about working from home is that I can also work on the road - and we hope to do "working" travels, especially as DS gets older and can appreciate it. We plan on homeschooling, so that we can all be fully flexible to travel all around the country.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi khaski! Work has been really busy for me the last couple of months and I love it! The only thing that sucks ass is the amount of laundry and how the area around the studio and that bathroom have to be cleaned every frigging day! I wish I had an assistant to do that stuff!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I hear ya...when you 'work from home', it's hard to keep from having a foot in both worlds all of the time. Always a juggling act!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.