Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into the possibility of taking a temp position away from home for experience and good pay. What are the pros and cons of doing this aside from obviously being away from my wife and our two DDs? (DD in this context is dear dog, though DT for dear terrierist is often more appropriate. :) )

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
My DH has been out of the country 72 days this year. He bounces back in for a day or 2 and then goes for another 3 weeks.
You don't have kids so thats a big ease right there. Were you thinking of having one. Puts a severe damper on that??
Will your wife be able to come see you? Travel costs.

Repairs you might have done yourself-can she do them? Repairs cost (house,car,etc.)

Do you have to rent a place,car,will you need diff or better clothes? make sure you figure this into cost.

Is it here or international? If it's internatonal you'll need to check if your medical covers you there,your cell phone works there and your wife needs a passport. Also, Life ins.

Interpersonally, WE are struggling because people change constantly as a matter of course. I have to make unilatteral decisions constantly as I can't reach him for agreement. He comes home and acts like he's at a hotel and forgets the house is his responsibility too. The bills are paid by me and the monies dispursed as I decide. What I am saying is often it's hard to be in your life at home and away. KWIM.

Is your wife on board? Can you change your mind and have employment here?? WE don't have a choice as he can't find work here and can make excellent money travelling.
Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have been living this since Feb 2010. It is very hard, but for us necessary. I was layed off in Nov 2009 and was not able to find work in our area. I do go home on the weekends and we talk on the phone alot. I have a son that is 20 and a daughter that is 17. We are trying to make the most of the weekends. We have decided that we will do the work out of state thing until my daughter graduates high school or I find a job near home. If I dont find anything by next May we are selling everything and moving everyone to my new location.

My advice.....if you can work at home for a little less pay.....do it. You will never get the family time back.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife has a work event into late night tonight, so I'm planning to check in with her tomorrow. Posting here today even though the answer may just plain be "No," because this is an action that I can take.

I also will call and find out if I'd be wasting their time by sending a resume - the qualifications are vague. I've done analytical chemistry for pharmaceutical, the job is analytical chemistry for nuclear / environmental. We plan to move closer to where my wife works soon and there are a couple nuke plants nearby there - thinking a little nuke experience won't hurt.

Just did a Google map directions. Comes up as 14 - 15 hour drive. Would make it not worth coming home for weekends regularly. Maybe not a good idea.

Thanks for helping me think about things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts