Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are doing the old 'extra hours' for extra money to help get things paid off?

I work 20 hours per week. Today I worked 5 hours overtime :pblow: . I wish there were more hours available.... our only really busy day is Monday.... so I was there 12 hours total.

Hopefully, my husband can get some more hours, too...

For now... :rest:

Marianne

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am sorry you had a long and busy day. I am up trying to figure out where to apply for work. I have been unemployed for about 5 months and I need to start working, even part time to earn some steady income.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I work overtime everyday because my office is open 7-4. I get paid through lunch so it really helps my pay. I've become accustomed to the money so I don't set any aside for debt. It's part of my pay.

·
Registered
942 Posts
DH always ends up working overtime every pay period. Right now, in the winter, we are just breaking even with take home of what it was before they changed insurance in Jan. So it is not going to debt, yet. Sometime in the next few weeks he should have his review and yearly COL increase - which will let that money go back to debt.

I have, recently, restarted actually trying for part-time admin projects to do here at the house. I did a lot of these before my 3rd child was born, tapered off after that and have done none since right before my 4th was born. All income after saving for taxes will go to debt.

In the summer DH works a second job and we have already decided the breakdown of that income, with nearly 3/4 going for debt reduction.

With this 'extra' money coming in it could cut our repayment period by nearly one year.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I generally work 10 - 20 hours of overtime a week (about 11 hours of work total a day). My hubby and I share a car, and our schedules don't quite match, so I just stay at work and work overtime until he's off. Thankfully my job is very demanding and I'm allowed as much overtime as I need, so my manager doesn't mind all of my extra hours.

We don't have any debt (besides the mortgage) so all of my overtime is going into savings at the moment.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Unfortunately I can't do anything like work overtime, but sometimes wish I could! I have a contracted amount of money given to me each year for my assistantship. I am starting to think of things I can do over summer for extra money.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I am scheduled to work 48 hours every other week so I get 8 hours of OT plus I work nights so I get a shift diff of 11% and I work every weekend so on Saturday and Sunday nights I get another 15% shift diff, I end up with 26% over my base pay on those nights and then my OT always falls on Saturday so that night is actually a 76% over base. I am really blessed with a great employer who is very fair about paying it's employees.

I try to pick up one extra day each week and that goes towards bills, lately property taxes but we will start paying extra towards the car to snowball it and then on to mortgage. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Dh works overtime every week, and now that we have paid off some of our debts, we can start using that money for debt reduction.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
My job doesn't allow overtime, but if I work extra, as I sometimes do, I can balance out the hours and work short shifts or take an extra day off, whenever staffing gives me a little slack in the schedule (I make the schedules). I have used that time to work on a part time at home job (I've quit it now), but hope to use it now to sew on things to sell. However, we are a little overstaffed at present, a rarity to be sure!, so I don't expect to see much, or any, of this "trade out" time for several months.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm allowed as much overtime as I want. But it's not what you think. I get a 50 cents/hour differential for time during weekdays (before 8 am and after 6pm), weekends and federal holidays. But I get paid during my hour lunch break and don't pay state or federal taxes (due to my contract working at an overseas location).

But it is nice that if I'm planning a trip somewhere I can make extra money by working 200+ hours the month before. This allows me to pay for all of my trips in cash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been working 50-60 hrs per week for the past few months, trying to get current so we can start the working on the EF. <Whew!> DH is salaried so doesn't get paid for OT, so it's all up to me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been averaging 16 hours each week since October (except this month, only about 6 hours each week, keeping my fingers crossed that it picks up again soon) all of it goes to debt reduction.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
As a teacher, I am salaried and don't get overtime. (THAT Would be excellent if we actually got paid for all the time we spend...but that's a different post.) Anyway, I work my own type of overtime by teaching 2.5 hours of piano lessons a week and for the months of December-mid March, doing the school play for an additional 13 hours a week. That's a stipend position at our school, so I get paid for it when the play is over. I'll do these as long as I'm able. That money goes toward bills, but I also take part of it and put it into our home repair fund.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
Dh is working some overtime so that we can make ends meet. I do merchandising so I am trying to pick up as many jobs as I can. Right now I work about 8 to 10 hours with jobs that I have weekly. I want more but they are hard to come by in my area. I keep pluggin away and hoping that I can come up with more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
With me if I am allowed to work more than 8 hours of overtime it is worth it. But if it is 8 or less it isn't worht working it. When it is that few of hours then I only end up getting less than $50.00 on my paycheck. The people that own the hotel where I work don't like to pay for any overtime. SO it is very rare that anyone works any overtime. With dh right now he doesn't get paid for any over time. He works in in construstion. The person that he works for is somewhat the same way. The only way that he will get any overtime is when the work on an Saturday when the just need to make up a day. But for him that may be changing when he gets another job that he is hoping to get. Then he will be geting overtime for them on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I am salaried and not eligible for overtime pay no matter how many hours I have to work.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I get some overtime depending on if we have a big project or review coming on. When it comes up it generally comes up in clumps for a few weeks and then nothing for awhile. DH's is seasonal since he works heating an air. He works sservice and is on call every fourth week. Last week when he was on call, with the cold spurt that came in, he had 20 something hourt OT in one week. :king: It was like getting an extra check. However there has been no other OT for him since well before Christmas. (I wouldn't want him to work that much on a consistant basis anyway. We'd miss him.) Generally the summer has more OT aavailable than the winter.

We use ours to pay extra on the morgage or put in the EF.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have the option to work overtime. I am on salary, I work as a manager for a panera bread co. I do however get pretty nice bonus checks and do use those to pay down the debt!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I work 2 part-time jobs. I don't end up with OT pay but I do work an extra 8 hours every 2 weeks. It is easy to do because I do some 12 hour shifts.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The nature of my business, I work overtime from October through January. So during that time, I pay extra on all my bills and stock up on stuff that I don't normally buy. I can work as much as I want, but I usually end up working about 55 hours a week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts