Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting very worried about hubby and the stress at his job. He really enjoyed his job for years~ up until a few months ago. His coworker has been out on comp for 3+ months. There is no chance at all he could come back until mid Jan if even then.

Hubby delivers freight for one of the big companies. They are a satellite division. His actual hub, boss and dispatcher are very far away. His area was a 2 man area. Since his coworker has been out they have occasionally sent helps from another area a few hours away but more than not hubby is the only one out there.

He is a very efficient worker. He want to keep the area numbers up and do as much work as humanly possible to keep the work from going to subcontractors. He needs to keep the customers happy. The big boss doesnt seem to care they are losing customers because they dont want the subcontractors pick stuff up. . The dispatch has told the big boss they are going to loss hubby if they keep running him into the ground like this. No one seems to care. It is all numbers.

He is routinely getting the work that 2 guys should have + more. One day he had 4 semi trailers worth plus all the areas to pick up. Needless to say it didnt all get done! He is wearing himself out trying to keep everyone happy and keep the numbers for the zone up.

He is getting very disheartened, sad, disgusted, mad and losing weight.He is physically exhausted from all the unloading. He is dreading every day at work of having more and more piled on. He could find another job but he is at the top of the food chain so to speak with this job. He also gets a 21% raise in January and no cost benefits through at least 2012. These things make it hard to leave. Also with him being the main earner ~even though he says no I know he has to feel more trapped.

To be very honest he cant take a big pay cut pay cut from what he is making right today. One place he could likely go could equal the pay he makes now ( not after the raise in Jan but now ) but the insurance is sky high. He worked for this company for 5 years once before. He would however lose his pension.

I cant physically do my job full time and even if I could I only make about 1/3 of what he would. I am looking for PT work to bank roll more cash but no luck so far. It isnt worth driving 60 miles round trip for a few I have been offered because it is low pay and only 2-3 hours a shift.

He honestly said he doesnt know if he can make it until Mid to late Jan when he finds out if his coworker can come back. I am really getting worried about him. I want to tell him to get the heck out then. However he will be very happy again if he just gets help. However the boss doesnt seem in the least bit interested.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I find it horrible when big companies don't care about their employees and they treat them like a number rather than a human being who will give a 100% to make the company grow and prosper.

Is there any way you can help him on the job instead of etting another part time position? Just a thought but it would help him out. Not sure of all the legalities though.

I hope his boss opens his eyes and see what a great job your hubby is doing and how much of a toll it is taking on him. Hugs and prayers for the both of you!

Reactions: nodmicks

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find it horrible when big companies don't care about their employees and they treat them like a number rather than a human being who will give a 100% to make the company grow and prosper.

Is there any way you can help him on the job instead of etting another part time position? Just a thought but it would help him out. Not sure of all the legalities though.

I hope his boss opens his eyes and see what a great job your hubby is doing and how much of a toll it is taking on him. Hugs and prayers for the both of you!

Nope no way to help but moral support. U-P-S is very strict.

Dh and the other guy were the ones to start in this area and help grow the freight in the area by taking to perspective customers. He is beyond disgusted. I think it doesnt help the boss is a state away.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Did your dh get any help yet?

Hi Nodmicks! I have been thinking of your dh and wondering if he got any help yet since tomorrow starts December which is probably his busiest month of the year.

A2M

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope he sure hasn't yet. Hopefully very soon. He was super stressed last week but not so much this week thank heavens!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My two cents: driving himself into the ground while management watches, isn't doing him any good. If he succeeds and keeps the numbers up, mgmt will decide that they only need one man and won't hire anyone if his co-worker doesn't come back.

I admire his dedication.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Handle everything at home if you are able or delegate things to kids too. Hear him out on all his complaints. Make sure he gets to sleep as much as he wants and work will allow. Don't worry aloud if you can help it.

Maybe he can talk to boss about hiring a temp/sub contractor because the work situation is that bad for him.

Last option, you can check with an attorney (Bar Assn referrals are $25 for 1/2 hour just don't sign anything.). You want to research 'Hostile work environment' which may require a talk to management at husband's work to mention this term plus a visit with a therapist who says your husband's work load is affecting his health. Your husband will get Unemployment after quitting if he pulls this off but I would get legal advice on how to carry this out just to be sure - there's too much at stake.

For you: Contact local home health care agencies to see if any of the seniors within a reasonable drive from your home needs cleaning, cooking and self-care help. (You usually don't need to be a Certified Nurses Aide for this kind of care.)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
**snort** UPS... Sorry... They suck big time. That is where I worked before I quit to just stay at home and homeschool the guys. Part of the reason I quit was because of the management.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hubby now has help as of today! He was thrilled.

Zakity UPS doesn't suck. The new terminal manager sucked in this situation. A company doesn't suck that pays a semi driver that kind of pay plus no cost benefits, tuition reimburse etc. That is why dh drives for them and my brother flew for them.

Now management CAN sure suck though and did as of this management change dealing with the short handedness. This manager sucked at this situation. Before the last few month dh had loved his job. He was very content to get help again .

What did you do for them? I'm sorry you mad a rotten manager.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Um, your husband drives truck for them? In the Feeder department? If so, this is so weird. I worked in Feeder as an office person. I inbounded and outbounded the tractor trailer trucks.

I also covered the payroll lady because the management guys kept screwing it up. Actually, my backing up the payroll lady actually worked really well for the drivers who only worked at night. I could take care of things for them (if it was in certain parameters anyway).

Occasionally, if things were going really badly down in the hub, I also got to wake the drivers up from a sound sleep to see if they wanted to take a run. I hated it when their wives answered. I always felt really weird calling in the middle of the night (and my being female) and asking if their husband was home. I always said, "this is zak from UPS with a run". It made me so glad that I wasn't "blessed" with a cutsey or a sexy breathless Marilyn Monroe voice.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Um, your husband drives truck for them? In the Feeder department? If so, this is so weird. I worked in Feeder as an office person. I inbounded and outbounded the tractor trailer trucks.

I also covered the payroll lady because the management guys kept screwing it up. Actually, my backing up the payroll lady actually worked really well for the drivers who only worked at night. I could take care of things for them (if it was in certain parameters anyway).

Occasionally, if things were going really badly down in the hub, I also got to wake the drivers up from a sound sleep to see if they wanted to take a run. I hated it when their wives answered. I always felt really weird calling in the middle of the night (and my being female) and asking if their husband was home. I always said, "this is zak from UPS with a run". It made me so glad that I wasn't "blessed" with a cutsey or a sexy breathless Marilyn Monroe voice.
Dh is in a semi as city driver in the freight division. He works days. 99% of his drops and pick ups are businesses and his freight is big stuff. He is a zone driver which means he has never actually even seen the management/ dispatch etc. At one time it was 5 states away. All dispatch is by phone and computer. I don't know what a feeder driver is to be honestly. His title is city driver. That likely means more to you than me :) unless the freight division wasn't running when you decided to be a sahm.

It sounds like you were kept pretty busy. I do understand what you mean about management screwing stuff up as far as payroll stuff. It was nice you helped her. LOL it would make for a great story to have that breathy voice and make the calls. LOL .

Hubby was elated to get help again but yet proud of his numbers. As a union guy though he doesn't want to see work go to sub-contractors. Are office workers in the union? I know management isn't.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is late. The delivery guys in the small trucks have it very tough this season. Glad dh is in a semi and can't work that late.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yeah, they started the freight thing after I quit. Hmmm... My twins are 13 and I quit when they were about 7 or so. It's been a few years since I worked there.

Office workers aren't union and aren't allowed to touch packages. The only package I ever touched was when I was on break (actually on a week that I was covering for the payroll lady) and headed to the breakroom for some coffee. A manager handed me a box and told me to take it two doors down. The truck that was two doors down was ready to leave and the box had been mis-sorted. I asked the manager later about it because I was told to never ever ever never touch a package since I wasn't union. I knew they were in a rush and so I didn't worry about the consequences down in the hub, but I asked the manager about it later. The manager looked at me and said, "since you are covering the payroll lady this week, you are management and that is the story that I am sticking to".

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EEEk I wouldnt have wanted to touch a package then either. They sure have lots of rules. Yep, that has been a few years for you :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hubby now has help as of today! He was thrilled.

Zakity UPS doesn't suck. The new terminal manager sucked in this situation. A company doesn't suck that pays a semi driver that kind of pay plus no cost benefits, tuition reimburse etc. That is why dh drives for them and my brother flew for them.

Now management CAN sure suck though and did as of this management change dealing with the short handedness. This manager sucked at this situation. Before the last few month dh had loved his job. He was very content to get help again .

What did you do for them? I'm sorry you mad a rotten manager.
with them , i have ordered stuff and paid for te 2- 3 day delivery, and it arrived on the 4th and 5th day. UPS does not deliver on weekends.

·
19,119 Posts
So glad that your DH has help now!! Relief for both of you!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts