Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has 4 kids. Past few years I've given Victoria Secret gift cards out of desperation. I really want something homemade.

Have already given: picture frames numerous years, (including a home decorated one that flopped) lotion stuff but she prefers Bath/Body, clothing and is very fashionable so don't think she would wear anything I made.

She: bakes, cooks, crafts, sews, even crochets herself. She has a huge stockpile of supplies.

I am truly stumped on how to give to an already homemaker person who produces excellent results compared to anything I've tried.

I have even done coupons in the early years of offers to babysit clean, etc. they were not redeemed. So I'm assuming that was a fail.

With these people in your family, do you just stick to gift cards/purchased items and call it good? I am so sick of giving a victoria secret card, its like 4 years now. She raves about it but meh so impersonal.

My skills: um, none. But I do try stuff, it just usually flops. I can bake. (but so can she) But I am willing to try new things.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
there are just some people i cant/ wont do a home made gift for . i watch for sales store coupons etc etc to buy them stuff
i know some say its impersonal but i disagree- if they wont appreciate a home made item and you can afford a way to get them something not home made - thats what i do-- i think what makes it " personal" is that you put the thought into making sure the person likes it .

and most times supplies for home made items are not free so its not as if home made= free to your budget .

Watch for VS semi annual sale if you have oen near you - you can get perfumes and creams etc at 75% off make a nice basket with them and maybe a pair of home made slippers sox if you want something hand made in it .

Reactions: krbshappy71

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THank you. I think that is part of my problem, I am worried I will put $ into something that will flop as she is so very talented.

My mom, heck, she loves everything I make so matter how badly it flops!

There's only 1 item I can come up with that I might try just because I would make it for my mom too and that's soap with chocolate mint in it. But I need to research that first. My SIL made soaps herself but it was many, many years ago so I think its ok if I try it and give it just this once.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
there are just some people i cant/ wont do a home made gift for . i watch for sales store coupons etc etc to buy them stuff
i know some say its impersonal but i disagree- if they wont appreciate a home made item and you can afford a way to get them something not home made - thats what i do-- i think what makes it " personal" is that you put the thought into making sure the person likes it .
Agree :thumb:

Though I also have to say that I've given many homemade gifts over the years, and the ones best received were those given to people who knew firsthand just how much hard work went into creating the gift. I know that's not true for everyone; that's just been my personal experience over the years :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm thinking of suggestions for someone who is already crafty but I was thinking about it and if you get a gift card this year why not get it for a craft store if she enjoys doing those kinds of things? I know I'd love that and I'm a crafter too. I'll come back with more ideas for actual stuff you can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts