Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've dipped my little toe into the world of soap-making, I have found that every soap-making website I visit also has candle-making supplies. Must be some fetish with melting and reforming things. Or maybe molds.

Anyway, prior to learning how to make soap, I was not aware of all the various ways people can make soap, so I am wondering if there are a number of different ways that people make candles. I would love to try my hand at it, but the only way I know is the dip method, where you end up with long tapered candles. Even there, I suspect there are as many different methods as there are styles!

Anyone with candle-making experience care to post your experience? Lessons learned from the time you were a newbie, what you recommend for a budding candlemaker, etc?

·
4,028 Posts
PLAY! Candle making is fun. I save empty cardboard cans (from nuts or stacked potato chips) and anchor my wick to the bottom then fill 'er up!

I also make ugly candles every 3-5 years depending on how many stubs of wax I have. They come out to be a shade of brownishblackishgrey.

Reactions: cab54 and madhen

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Fill the mold 2/3 full with ice cubes. Pour the hot wax over the ice. Allow water to melt and wick to dry. You get a really TRIPPY looking candle. :)

Reactions: dpence and madhen

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
The only candles I've ever made are jar candles. I save jars (candle jars) and refill em. I've been having the 'urge' lately to make some. I did a tutorial here one time a long time ago on making jar candles. Look in the hobby section.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fill the mold 2/3 full with ice cubes. Pour the hot wax over the ice. Allow water to melt and wick to dry. You get a really TRIPPY looking candle. :)
This is WAY cool!! I'm going to have to try it!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You know, those look like candles you get in gift shops. You could make them and give them to the people who "require" bought gifts.

·
4,028 Posts
They are fun to make. I have found that with cubes too large there are gaping holes where the wick is not always supported. So use medium size chunks. And if you make it with yellow wax it looks very cheesy.....literally, it does.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I'm glad you asked about this, madhen. I've been wondering about making them too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts