Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD 7 has chickepox. I have kept her home friday and today monday because she was still breaking out in more spots on sunday. She seems fine other wise. The doctor said I could send her to school today but I kept her home because she was still breaking out in spots. I was told that as long as she is feeling fine I could send her to school. So I am probably going to send her tomorrow. My question is what would you do? Would you be upset if someone sent there child to school that was still breaking out in spots with chickenpox?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Aren't most kids vaccinated against this now?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aren't most kids vaccinated against this now?
yes they are DD got vaccinated for chickenpox. But in my area this vaccination was not covered when the age group DD is in. It cost a crap load of money. She got it because I got her to a free clinic that was only offering it for several days. So I know that most kids she would play with have not had the shot.
She got chickenpox at two and has them again. I took her to the dr for confirmation so I know for sure they are chickenpox again. I am thinking that she is a lot like me, my mom and my sister. There are several vaccinations that we have all gotten that we have no immunity to still. For some reason our bodies do not accept the vaccination. I have been vaccinated several times for hepititis and still have no immunity to it. Same with my mom and sister. I have had chickenpox several times but still have no immunity to it.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Some kids are vaccinated and some opt out. What worries me is kids w/ other health issues like heart issues. The rule of thumb when I was a kid is that if your scabbed you can go back but not w/ open sores.
Yes, I would be upset.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Where I live you have to be vaccinated for the children pox to enter school it is a required vaccination.

The school has been known to send children back that exhibit any non crusted over poxs, even after a doc okay to come back to school.

When my son had it he was out for a full two weeks.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Technically, the incubation/contagious period is two weeks prior to breakout I belive.

And Greebo--yes most kids are vaccinated. But there are weirdos like me (two round of chicken poxs, both fairly severe, as well as shingles) who have little immunity to the virus. Not fun.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I would call the school and discuss it with them, but as a parent, yah, I'd be a bit miffed! I always thought still breaking out=contagious, and as the disease is less prevalent than it used to be, I would think a lot of parents are uneducated about it and would be mad. If there's any chance your dd could still spread it, just keep her home.

·
Registered
501 Posts
To answer your question honestly, yes, I would be upset if someone sent their child to school with my child knowing that they still had active chicken pox. I'm in an odd situation though, my youngest DD is just finally off of immunosuppressant drugs that made her vulnerable to catch anything, sometimes even things that she's had before. Not only that, but if she caught something it was incredibly difficult for her body to fight it off. My suggestion would be to talk to her school and find out when they feel she can come back, then it becomes the school's responsibility and you don't have to worry about what anyone else says.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I wouldn't be mad but I would kinda raise my eyebrows a bit. I'm in the 'better safe than sorry' camp about communicable disease. There are kids who weren't vaccinated, kids who can't be vaccinated and kids who just didn't develop immunity. There are still adults who aren't immune, and for them the illness is pretty severe. I would feel really horrible if my kid brought in the pox and got everyone sick.

Chicken pox is also one of those vaccines that are routinely turned down by parents who otherwise get their kids vaccinated.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes, I would be upset. In our district the vaccine is required but my kids dr. told me last summer when I thought dd maybe had chicken pox that the vaccine doesn't always keep them from getting it but it does usually make the case much milder. The thing is though, even if the kids she is around don't get really sick if she is still contagious they could spread the virus to kids who haven't had the vaccine yet or to sick or elderly people they are in contact with so I would keep my child home until they were cleared up. I hope your dd feels better soon.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It's a shame you don't live closer. I'm on the hunt for some chicken pox! :p

Just as I suspected, another useless vaccine. ;)
Getting the pox doesn't always work either. My son had them when he was a baby ( before he could get the pox shot) and then got them again when we was in 2nd grade. The doc said he must of had to mild a case the first time around. That many people get them a second time if they had a mild case the first time. He got a big case the second time around and the doc said that should do it. LOL

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Getting the pox doesn't always work either. My son had them when he was a baby ( before he could get the pox shot) and then got them again when we was in 2nd grade. The doc said he must of had to mild a case the first time around. That many people get them a second time if they had a mild case the first time. He got a big case the second time around and the doc said that should do it. LOL
Exactly. Had them in 3rd grade--all over my face my chest, my back, my arms, my neck. Horrible case. Had them again at 19--all over my neck, my back, my chest, my arms. Was quarintined in a military hospital. Then when pregnant with Moo, I got shingles. Shingles IS miserable. I still have nerve pain.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Exactly. Had them in 3rd grade--all over my face my chest, my back, my arms, my neck. Horrible case. Had them again at 19--all over my neck, my back, my chest, my arms. Was quarintined in a military hospital. Then when pregnant with Moo, I got shingles. Shingles IS miserable. I still have nerve pain.
I only had chicken pox once and got shingles when I was pregnant with my second.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Anytime I get the slightest itch in the area I had it before (right side breast and center of back where bra clasps), I take off running for the bathroom to see if I have a rash starting!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.