Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had trouble getting my car into our narrow little two car garage. DH often parks too 'close' to my side, and I have to swing as close to my side as possible to get in and still be able to open my door and squeeze my chubby body out of the car.

So last night, I got a little *too* close. It looked like the passenger mirror would hit the side of the garage, so I started to back out, but the car must have been a bit crooked and I ended up scraping the darn bumper against the side and it is now slightly dislodged and damaged.

I have no idea what the cost will be, and I am not sure if I should just pay a body shop to fix it, or file a claim through insurance (I have GEICO). I'm afraid I'll lose my good driver discount and have my rates go up...What would you do?

·
2,688 Posts
What did your hubby think ?
You can get a few estimates from body shops to see what kind of prices are out there.
It's personal damage to your car, on your property so you probably don't need to file a claim. And your rates probably would go up if you do.
It maybe cheaper to pay out of pocket.

My hubby did body work / painting on fire trucks for 16.5 yrs. He would be fixing any of our boo boo's, unless it involved major parts replacement, etc.

Reactions: xtena

·
Registered
93 Posts
Get a couple of estimates for costs of repairs. The repair may be suprisingly cheap or suprisingly expensive. You can't really decide the best course of action until you know repair costs. Once you know how much it will cost, how much above the deductible is the repair? You will be paying the deductible either way. Is this affordable to you? How much will your insurance increase if you lose good driver status? How long will it take to regain good driver status?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Get a couple of estimates for costs of repairs. The repair may be suprisingly cheap or suprisingly expensive. You can't really decide the best course of action until you know repair costs. Once you know how much it will cost, how much above the deductible is the repair? You will be paying the deductible either way. Is this affordable to you? How much will your insurance increase if you lose good driver status? How long will it take to regain good driver status?

I agree...many factors to take into consideration.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did your hubby think ?
Um, I don't think his thoughts are printable. Though, for all his 'displeasure' I'm not the one who totalled my dear, sweet, faithful Geo Metro a few years back. Apparently he had 'an excuse' in that he was working two jobs and 'was tired'. I apparently have 'no excuse' for my own carelessness. Shrug. Incidentally it was his choice to work two jobs at that time, we were both earning decent money and no debt outside the mortgage so it's not like it was critical to our financial survival that he work two jobs at that time. Not that it matters. I was very supportive in the aftermath of the accident and never once blamed him because it was an ACCIDENT. As was my own little mishap. Accidents happen.

But I digress. He is not 'good' with cars and won't be able to fix it himself. He's an immigrant with no better knowledge of the insurance industry than me, so he hasn't offered any good advice, just criticism which I'm doing my best to grit my teeth and avoid telling him where to stick it.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If I were you go get an estimate and see, on some cars it might cost alot to fix. some of them have bumpers that need to have the foam replaced if it gets damaged. On the other hand, they might be able to do a cheap fix.

My DS had a guy bump his back bumper, you do not want to know how much that was to repair. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts