Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post got me to thinking about how much I HATE to pump gas. (I'm old enough to remember when they pumped it for you, checked you oil and tire pressure, and THANKED you for your business!!)

So my question is this - would you pay extra to have someone pump gas for you?? If so, how much extra per gallon???

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The last 2 times I got gas dh pouted because he likes to do it, so If I hated doing it I would just let him do it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
When my kids were little and they didn't have pay at the pump I did sometimes pay extra so I didn't have to get two little ones out of carseats and back in (I could never bring myself to leave them in the car even to run in and pay for gas- a little girl in the next town over was kidnapped while her mom was in the post office and that story haunted me). Now however I can pay at the pump and my kids are older so no, I just do it myself.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I hate pumping gas, and am old enough to remember when ALL gas was pumped by someone else..... I'll do it if I must, but usually hubby does it (he worked at a gas station pumping gas when he was a teenager - ironically enough).

We have one station in town where they pump your gas for you and it's only a cent or two more than self-serve places. It's owned and managed by an occupational agency and serviced by individuals with learning disabilities. They seem to ALWAYS be busy, especially in the winter. So I guess we're not the only ones who don't like pumping gas. :lol3:

Ya know, sometimes it's okay to pay to have something done for you. Especially if it's not going to spiral you into financial ruin (LOL) like a few more cents per gallon of gas. You can find someplace else to save the difference (eating less meat, replace an incandescent light with a CFL, or better yet, an LED - which uses even LESS electricity than a CFL and no danger from mercury) drive a little less....

If you need someone to grant you permission, I say go for it. Life is too short to do things you hate to do, all for a few pennies. :hugz:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
My granny has always told me "A lady never pumps gas". Not once in her life has she ever pumped gas. She either goes to a full-service station or my Pappa (grandfather) does it for her.

I absolutely hate to pump gas. Touching the pump handles grosses me out. I can only imagine the germs - ugh!!! I don't like the smell of gas fumes and after pumping I feel like I smell like gas. I ask DH to handle getting my gas whenever possible.

I have no problem paying for a full-service gas station. I welcome it. A few cents on the gallon are not that big of a deal and money well spent for me.

T

·
0 Posts
I prefer to have someone else pump it, and I'm only 31. We used to live near two gas stations that were the cheapest price AND they pumped it for you.

I'd probably pay an extra $.05 a gallon if there was a station conveniently located to have someone pump it for me.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
No, I'm too cheap! :crackup:
Me too. It's high enough now. Only up side is they would have to employ a few more people...which would raise it even more. Every action has a reaction.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
no. i actually like pumping the gas. :dopey:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I live in Oregon where you can't pump your our gas and I kind to miss pumping it. I guess I miss being in control of what is going into my car.
I find it kind of waste of money, because really all they do is pump gas. I still have to get out of the car wash the windows, check the oil, or check the tire pressure. At some places you still have to get out and pay, either in the store or at the pump.
Personally I have a hard time paying more for someone to do something that I could easily do myself, such as pump my own gas.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
No, I wouldn't pay a cent extra.

My state is already the highest in the nation for a gas tax, we don't need anything to make the price higher.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last 2 times I got gas dh pouted because he likes to do it, so If I hated doing it I would just let him do it.
My DH usually always keeps my gas tank filled, but sometimes when I travel, he can't.

We have this deal - I don't ask him to cook, he doesn't ask me to pump gas.

It actually keeps us from even considering divorce, 'cause he'd starve (or die of hot hog poisoning) and I'd never be able to go anywhere!!!!!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We have two convenience stores and one full service station in our small town. The full service pumps the gas, washes the windshield, checks the oil and fluids, checks tires. They also remind me when it's time to have the car serviced.Plus, they have the old Vess bottled pop machines for a quarter and most times they will spring for me a soda. For a few cents more I use the full service. You bet I do.

·
Registered
525 Posts
lol um let me think..um no.im not willing to pay more for this partly cuz here in fl at a few gass stations ppl hang out there and say i will pump ur gass for a dolla or u need scripts..some of these ppl r homeless yes i get it but by whats been goin on it is by choice(not for all but some) they get everything free here...grrr so why pay them to do what we can do. with out hard earned cash..now my mom back up north loves to have hers pumped for her it works. but not us. id rather stick that extra buck in the tank or in my kids bellies..*just my opinion pls no hate replyes every surcumstance is diff. and i know some of them first hand choose to b ho,eless

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I live in Oregon where you can't pump your our gas and I kind to miss pumping it. I guess I miss being in control of what is going into my car.
I find it kind of waste of money, because really all they do is pump gas. I still have to get out of the car wash the windows, check the oil, or check the tire pressure. At some places you still have to get out and pay, either in the store or at the pump.
Personally I have a hard time paying more for someone to do something that I could easily do myself, such as pump my own gas.
I also live in Oregon and it annoys me to no end that I don't at least have the CHOICE of whether I want to pump my own gas or not. They tell us it's for "environmental reasons"....so the gas doesn't get spilled on the ground.....now let me ask you this, if it's getting spilled everywhere else all over God's creation, is it really going to make that much of a difference that Oregon is keeping a few drops from being spilled? Hmmmmph. I don't think so! I've seen these guys pump gas and they don't do it any different or any better than I do. And I don't think that's the real reason for it anyway.....DH and I both think it's to create a few jobs for the otherwise unemployable and to keep the welfare rolls down.

What's funny about it though is I live near the Washington border, and lots of self-service stations there. But I'm so used to just sitting there waiting for someone to pump my gas that I'll sit there in my car looking like a total idiot for several minutes until I realize I'm not in Oregon anymore and if I want some gas I better get up and get it myself :)

I would be willing to pay a little extra (but not much) if there were actually some service being performed in addition to pumping the gas. Like years ago when they would clean your windows, check your oil, etc. All I get for my $ now is they stand around talking to their buddies while they're pumping my gas, and sometimes they bother to hand me a receipt. One time one of the gas jockeys tried to palm our change (it was $5 or $10), so needless to say we don't go to that station anymore. I wanted to box his ears for that!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know if they still do it or not but the bag boys in the commissary used to work for tips only. If gas stations would do that the gas wouldn't go up and you could tell the person you would pump the gas yourself or you could stiff the person on the tip. I'm mostly thinking HS kids that just want to make a little spending money. I think I'll tell my son to ask the local gas stations about it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I keep antibacterial wipes and paper napkins (left over from fast food stops) in my truck and pump my own. I am too tight to pay extra for someone else to do something I am perfectly capable of doing myself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts