Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Cant tell if thats stuff on there or enamel missing from the picture.
BUT if its stuff on go to YouTube and look for a video. I used this video to get the most awful burnt on mess off in a few minutes. It was like a baking soda/vinegar
on the burner deal. Sorry I can't tell you the name of the lady?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If it's really cast-iron, you should be able to scrub off that enamel with a Curly Kate Pot-Cleaner; just take it all off before you use it, because enamel that is chipping or coming off is a health hazard.
I've never heard of cast-iron pots with enamel over them; I've had lots of thick metal pots with enamel on them, but they weren't cast iron.
Cast iron pans are great to cook with. My best one is a frying pan which I bought at a yard sale for $1. It was rusty, and had burned-on food stuck to it, but a good scrubbing with a heavy-duty pot scrubber took all that off, and then I fine-sanded it with steel wool to get the finish smooth again. I use it all the time, and just oil it inside before cooking with it. I also wash it with dishwashing detergent and water with the other dirty dishes, and rinse it under hot tap water, wipe it dry immediately, and store it till needed. It's healthy to cook with good cast iron cookwear, since it transmits iron to the food, and adds to your food nutrient value. All the best with yours!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts