Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As I have written in another thread all clothes I have at the moment are really shabby. Out of interest: Would you or have you ever worn old clothes that are threadbare, have holes or tears? I'm not talking about at home or while gardening, but in everyday life?

If yes, to what extent? Did you ever feel embarrassed about your clothes? Or got in trouble because of their condition?

What do you think about people wearing shabby clothes?

I would be very interested in your opinions and experiences ...

Kind regards,
hippieflippy

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wore my shabby clothes in a shopping mall. I was looking for the toilets and a security guard came up to me and asked if he could help me. I haven't been approached by a security guard for no reason before.

Most of my clothes are quite worn, but I won't wear them if they have stains.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Absolutely not! My clothes are used often times but not w/ holes,rips,too long pants dragging on the ground,stained,bleach spotted. And not in the garden either.
I can get anything for $1, at these sales. To me that is the opitome of slobbyness and lack of pride.
I did change into a shirt at the gym that was tight to remind me of the weight I've gained in the last year. I was for personal motivation.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have plenty of *at home* clothes. But, if I go out...groceries, errands, to babysit my grand kids, etc. I always put on fresh, clean, nice clothes. Not expensive clothes.....but nice. I was taught to look decent and respectful in public. I am very self conscious and have a bad body image anyway, so I try hard to look my best. For some reason, people think casual means sloppy....ugh. I don't want to look frumpy and disheveled.
I just walked my dog in sweat pants and a tshirt. However, I have to go to town and will change into a nice pair of capris and a blouse. (Patagonia capris from the thrift, and a white cotton (ironed!) blouse from Kohls.) And a nice pair of sandals.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
I also save my ratty clothes for working at home. Like today I am going to stain the deck, so I will wear my worst clothes.

But wearing something stained or holey in public - never!! Clothing is cheap enough at thrift stores, sometimes you can get it for free, why would you demean yourself by looking worse than you need to?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, I care less at home, or working out. When I go out I try to look good. It's hard though. I can't find any pants that fit me and I am ready to strangle someone over it.

I finally found a pair of denim capris. My pants were in bad shape before I got pregnant and now that I fit back into my prepregnancy clothes I still don't have pants that fit, and some person has decided that they won't make clothes to fit me. My capri jeans are lovely and a size 14. You'd think I can find full length ones that fit, it's not that strange a size, but everywhere I go, I can't even fit in the 18s, for jeans, even though the 12s of shorter styles fit. It makes zero sense, and I'm upset about it.

I would not wear clothes with holes if I could find clothes that fit... I'm willing to spend $30-40 for a good pair of jeans that will last...

Reactions: oheoh's momma

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Like others I take a certain amount of pride in my personal appearance. I'm not saying I think I look better than anyone else, just that I want to look clean and neat when I go out. I only wear worn out shirts around the house, and if I have to run to the hardware store I will often put on a clean shirt when I go out the door.

People treat you with more respect when you are clean and presentable. When I go into shops, businesses, and the bank I get better service and more attention when I look nice.

I believe that when you dress poorly it reflects on your attitude and personality. A person who does not care about their personal hygiene or appearance isn't going to put a lot of effort into anything else either, like jobs or responsibilities. I have seen people who were dressed shabbily turned away from a business and denied service soley because of how they looked. That is not the life I want to live.

Reactions: bookwormpeg

·
Registered
111 Posts
It really depends. I live in a town where everyone is working hard and wearing rain boots, sweat pants and hoodies 90% of the time. But I do make an effort to look presentable since I don't work on the docks or slimeline or anything. I will wear a pair of jeans till they are threadbare in the thighs, but if they get a hole in the knee they are for home only.
My son on the other hand, will wear the most worn out clothes in public...he looks like a ragamuffin but then, all the kids do these days with their ripped jeans and "distressed" looking clothes. Its like they have made being a hobo hip.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Short time before heading back to work but wanted to add this to the discussion.

The torn and distressed clothing (on purpose or by chance )that is popular with the teens is against our school (public school) dress code. We are also a school with 90% of all students on free or reduced lunch.

Approprate clothing is provided by the nurse that day if the parents can not bring other clothing. If that is all the student has resources will be given to help them obtain the approraite clothing.

Yes I did wear worn out clothing when I was "only" a stay at home mom. Yes, I did get treated diffrently. Not by friends and those that know you but by strangers.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I will wear clothes with small holes in it and small (not too noticable) stains when walking around the village I live in. Especially when I am tired. However, I will try to look decent if I have an official appointment rather than going somewhere because it is open now and now is the only time I can go.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I wouldn't, unless I needed something quick from the hardware store. How do I feel about others that do? I try not to pass too much judgement, but I feel that most are simply lazy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I won't wear ratty clothes out of the house, but I have some things that I wear only at home to clean or garden.

I work in a Horticulture center and have gardening clothes that I wear there. But, we occasionally open to the public and need to look more presentable than we do on the workdays. I wear well worn jeans and gardening t-shirts when I go to workdays.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I could care less what others think about how I am dressed. I am casual and laid back 100% of the time. I don't wear makeup and have my hair in a bun most of the time. I have never had a problem with people. However, on my wedding day, many thought I was someone else! LOL. It only matters how you feel when you are wearing what you are wearing. Someone will always have an opinion and you will never please everyone.

·
4,028 Posts
My cleaning clothes are just that, typically stained and bleached. I've ruined too many "good" clothes when working.

I clean houses for others and am often splattered with bleach products so I do NOT dress as if I was just running errands. I do my shopping on my way home after cleaning so I am often in stained shirts that have a hole or small tears. Oh well. I'm not going to drive 5 miles to change clothes and go back out to run errands.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
:
I could care less what others think about how I am dressed. I am casual and laid back 100% of the time. I don't wear makeup and have my hair in a bun most of the time. I have never had a problem with people. However, on my wedding day, many thought I was someone else! LOL. It only matters how you feel when you are wearing what you are wearing. Someone will always have an opinion and you will never please everyone.
So agreed Citrine!

I often wear ratty, worn out clothing (yes, out in public where people can see me). I have certain things that I really develop a liking for, and I can't bear to part with them (mostly on the comfort factor - 'coz obviously I am not out to impress anyone either) lol

I have always said "Clothes don't make the man (or woman)" - and I truly believe that. And I have never been treated any differently whether I am wearing a dress, or a pair of old ratty pink sweatpants with the word cute on the rear. (Yes, I do have those, and yes I am 48 years old, and yes, I do wear them in public - all the time in fact) - however, these days I so wore the bottoms out, coz they drug the ground (and I was tripping on them) - that I cut them off into long shorts - and I still wear them. With a ratty t-shirt to boot.

I think it all really comes down to how you carry yourself. I have seen some of the most beautiful people wearing shabby clothing & some of the ugliest people dressed to kill.

I have never been treated any differently no matter what I am wearing. But I also take care of myself otherwise - I may have on clothing that others would consider rags for the garage, but my hair is colored (not always styled, most times in a ponytail or piled in a mess on top of my head in a clip) - I have always gone above & beyond to protect my skin - so I have awesome skin for an old lady, (and most days I don't have a stitch make-up on) - I have pearly white teeth (naturally-and a huge blessing) - I have good posture & walk with a no-nonsense, I matter too attitude -

Don't judge a book by it's cover. It may be worn, torn & a little shabby, but it may have the most wonderful story you have ever heard inside. In fact, in all my years on this planet - the most interesting people I have ever known have been the ones that worried more about 'living' - than whether their shoes matched their handbags.

In conclusion - I would rather share a conversation with a homeless man, than I would someone jumping out of the back of a chauffeur driven vehicle. But that's just me.... I guess I just am of the mindset that if you judge me by the piece of cloth that I happened to slip on today, to cover my other-wise naked body - then you probably aren't worth my losing any precious life hours worrying over.

But on the other hand - if you stink (unless you are that homeless person) - then please.... go home & take a bath! :yikes:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No, I can get really cute clothes at thrift stores or on clearance for hardly anything if I want to. There is no reason to go out looking like that and I try to look my best.

There are also places you can get free clothing if you need it, that is not worn out or homeless looking. So, what is holding you back?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Would I wear worn-out clothes? Outside of the house/garden, beyond decorating, gardening, fixing my bike? No.

If I only had tatty and torn clothes, I'd darn them, mend them, wash and iron them - and then go to the charity (thrift) shop for what I could afford that was NOT worn out. There's no reason to let people see your underwear through the fabric of your trousers/skirt/jeans. It's simple to take care of clothes so that they don't become unwearably shabby. You just have to care to.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts