Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it would since it is going up everywhere but geeze! I went in with $40 and had to put almost have of my stuff up at the register. I even commented to the cashier and she agreed. Example. flour tortillas used to be $.67 a pack, last week they where about $.85 and this week $.95! And cans of soup were $.35 now up tp $.47! Crazy!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Have you seen their commercials on tv? I think I have seen at least 4 or 5 ones now. They used to never do that.

Maybe that is part of it....

Most of those cans sell at Walmart for 50 cents for name brands like Campbells.

I hate their bread but it was over a buck on my last trip. I remember when it was like 59 cents. But still I have to look at the overall picture. There is still some things cheaper there. It is very frustrating though. I have to be more selective in my choices than I had to do before.

I always use my debit card in case I go over or have it handy..:p

·
Registered
900 Posts
LOL, I remember when the bread was 33 cents. I found a ground turkey package in my freezer last week marked .59 and now they are .99!! The chips and snacks have all went up a couple of times recently. I noticed the marshmallows last time...$1.09 per bag. I know they were under a $ last time I bought them and I really think they were .69 not too long ago. I have been shopping Aldi's a looong time. I remember when the canned foods were .29 each and many of them are .45, now.

The first time I saw that dreadful commercial, I turned to my hubby and said, "We are going to be paying for the stupid commercial!" With these price increases, I only go there about 1 week per month and stock up on the things that I don't find a lot of sales or coupons for at other stores. Now, I am finding that I can often get brand name coupon plus loss leaders/sales much cheaper than I can get store brand at Aldi's!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me that noticed that. I have been commenting to my hubby on their price increases lately. I noticed syrup, whipped yogurt, canned goods, pretzles, flour, sugar, etc..........have all gone up.
ugh!
(never seen the commercials)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I haven't seen the commercials either...but I have noticed the rising costs have hit there as well!! I too, have found I can do way better with loss leaders and I love IGA's "always save" brand on everything...it is way cheaper than the store brand too, but not in quality!!! I noticed Kroeger with the great value brands too...I find the quality on both of these brands better than Aldi's which is now more expensive!! Take care, Katy

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I love Kroger's Great Value brand as well.

Haven't been to Aldi in awhile since I only go about 3 times a year and buy in bulk. I do know the last time I went (Februaryish) I noticed a big jump on the mandrine oranges that I use to buy by the case there as well as a couple of other things. I'm due to make a run in the next couple of weeks. I guess I should go soon and make the call of whether I'm going to REALLY stock on the items I get there or just get those items when I do routine shopping at other stores.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I notice it every time I go, too. A few things haven't gone up recently, butter is still 1.99 at mine and salad dressing is .99.

On another note, I tried the hot sauce for the first time. BLEH!!! It was nasty! Its going in the garbage. I put it on my eggs, and I thought they had gone bad! Turns out it was the hot sauce.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I went in and made my ALDI run Tues. night as I happened to be passing it. I didn't get many of the things I usually stock from there. I need to see if I can do better with coupons somewhere else first. I did stock a few things such as tomatoe paste and rice mixes.

I skipped these that I normally stock in bulk as well

vegtable oil which went from $1.49 to $2.29
Ketchup.....................from .....89 to $1.19
chocolate chips...........from .....99 to $1.39
sweetened condensed milk from .89 to $1.19
stuffing .....................from .....59 to .79

I can just do without on some of these but the oil and the ketchup I'll try and find a way to get a better price.

Still spent $46 and change without getting a lot of my normal stock :skept:

·
Registered
820 Posts
We went there and to SaveAlot the other day. Hadn't been to either in at least a year. Though bread had went up 75 cents it is still cheaper to buy it there than other places wanting up to 1.70 a loaf for white bread!! We bought a few loaves to stick in the freezer. They had Pillsbury desert biscuits for 1.29 so I grabbed 2 of those to go with the strawberries that were $1.78 for a pound. Milk was only $2.58 a gallon there. We got a few other things. BNut yeah the prices have certainly went up.
We got some good deals at SaveAlot because they take coupons. I bought 6 boxes of beechnut baby cereal with coupon for 19 cents each and I used 3 $1.50 off coupons for 8 jars of baby food - they ended up being like 25 cents each. Would have gotten more but their selection was low. Got pack of jumbo luvs for 6.99 plus $2 off coupon.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think all the stores have gone up in prices. When I make my list from the ads and my coupons I just go in a circle from the farthest from my home then the last one Sav a lot and Walmart are the closest to me. I agree with the price of canned items, I watch krogers ads for when that goes on sale and stock up.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I miss shopping at Aldi's. Growing up in Elmira, there was an Aldi Foods built in Horseheads across from the shopping plaza that had a competition grocery store (can't remember if it was P&C or not) and a farmer's market place nearby. That was the best area to buy food in. Not only did you have one choice, you had three. :)

I wish they had something up here like Aldi in Calgary. I know there's a low cost food store in this part of the city, but I'm not sure that DH would be comfortable going there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just went shopping today ... holly crap!!

There prices have went up super bad.. i was in shock!! 10 cents here 50 cents there adds up REALLY fast!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's very unfortunate that everything keeps going up in price except for my salary. Hence, the Economic Stimulus Package, which I haven't even seen by the way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
maybe its only gone up 4% -8% on processed foods ... but staples have gone up drastically since just last year

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't have any statistics to prove my point, but I believe the increases are more like 10-15% at least. There are some items that are even higher. There are very few things that haven't gone up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
have you noticed though that the processed foods have not gone up as much as the staples... thats what i find interesting .. because that hurts everyones pockets a lot deeper then processed foods going up...because even if you buy all processed foods your going to buy spices, flour, shortening, ect as well ( or atleast i think you would maybe i am wrong *lol*)

·
Registered
900 Posts
You are right qtkitty. Not only do you have to buy the staples anyway, but the processed foods are not as healthy. Trying to eat healthy has never been very affordable. But, if it continues on this path, I can see increases in diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure because people will have to eat what they can afford.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know my grandparents are retired and my grandfather is diabetic .. they live off $20 a week for 2 people... in florida!!

Needless to say they are eating a LOT of soup... which is good because gram is the queen of fridgerator soup *lol*.. and if the soup gets low she will add some more water and a can of beans or a veggie she has on hand.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Are you serious!
I've never been to Aldis- there aren't any around here.

I pay
Chicken breast 5.99 a pound.
can o soup $1.39
loaf of bread $2.39
dozen eggs $4.49
Flour tortillas 6 pack $1.99
half gallon of milk $2.59

you have it made.
Don't complain

1 - 20 of 31 Posts