Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_fe_st/declaration_copy;_ylt=Ak3Z3kqwksiZhoXffozmwLntiBIF

A rare, 184-year-old copy of the Declaration of Independence found by a bargain hunter at a Nashville thrift shop is being valued by experts at about 100,000 times the $2.48 purchase price.
Michael Sparks, a music equipment technician, is selling the document in an auction March 22nd at Raynors' Historical Collectible Auctions in Burlington, North Carolina. The opening bid is $125,000 and appraisers have estimated it could sell for nearly twice that.
Sparks found his bargain last March while browsing at Music City Thrift Shop in Nashville. When he asked the price on a yellowed, shellacked, rolled-up document, the clerk marked it at $2.48.
It turned out to be an "official copy" of the Declaration of Independence — one of 200 commissioned by John Quincy Adams in 1820.
He didn't know he had such a valuable piece until doing some online research and then having appraisers at Raynors' offer an opinion.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
What a find! I am very happy for the guy. I love history, and thrift stores too.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I wish I had that kind of luck, geesh I am jealous.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
How cool is THAT!

·
Registered
528 Posts
You know what they say girls "one man's trash is another man's treasure.":cloud9: That sure would make my day or my week and even maybe my year.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I want to find something worth at least $125,000 at my thrift store too. :)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
That's amazing that it ended up in a thrift store without anyone ever realizing how valuable it was. That is one lucky guy!

--Michelle

·
Registered
301 Posts
I once bought a rather collectible art book at a garage sale for 75c and sold it through ebay for over $100.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I saw this on the Today Show this morning. I thought "what a lucky guy!"

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Holy Moly!!! I wish i could find something like that at my thrift store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts