Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to move and save $300 a month. I am not currently under a lease where I am at now. Do I have to give the landlord notice about moving? I would prefer not to move till April but dont know if this new house will still be on the market then. Its going for a very good price, in a good neighborhood with everything I am looking for. So if I get approved it feels to good to pass up. I have enough for the first months rent and sec deposit for it, but if I pay for that I wont have rent for March here. What shoudl I do? Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can only speak for the laws where I live, but the minimum required notice is 20 days....in writing.

Unless you think your current landlord would have a negative attitude about you leaving, I cannot see where it would be bad to give extra notice time. They might appreciate having that time to get financially prepared to get the place ready to re-rent and such.

As far as the new place....all you can do is see if they would be willing to accept either part or all of the deposit with an agreed upon April move in date.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you are looking I would definately tell your landlord as soon as you find out. With the new place tell them you can move in April. If they ask you why state because of your current lease. From what I have heard a 30 day notice is usual, but may differ in your area. Hopefully this will let your new landlord know you are responsible.

Also, do not feel pressured to move right away. Also check to see about having all your utilities moved to the current location. Hopefully you will not have to pay extra for that.

Saving $300 a month is definately good motivation to move. Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
With no lease, a 30 day notice is standard. You can also google your states landlord/tenant laws...

You need to do what is best for you! (but of course, don't ruin a good reference - give at least 30 days notice!)

Good luck with the move! I just moved from 2500 to 600 sf, saving $555 mo in rent!

Another idea - do you know anyone responsible looking to rent? I broke a lease once and found the owner new tenants - it worked out great for everyone!

Reactions: serenity72

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to see the new place on thursday hopefully we get approved. I definatly dont want to burn bridges my landlord now is very cool, but I do want to save money. Definatly will be giving him at least a 30 days notice. Just trying to figure out the finances so I can have both living here and getting th eplace if I get approved.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I doubt if the new place would have a problem with waiting until April. I would give 30 days notice to your current landlord.

However, something to consider is that you may incur extra expenses with the move. Are you going to move yourself or pay someone to move you? Will you need to rent a truck? You may need security deposits for turning on utilities in your name in the new place, etc. You might find you need to buy something that you didn't need in your current place (drapes for instance, but there could be any number of things). Be sure to budget some extra for those kinds of expenses.

Reactions: serenity72

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have the opportunity to move and save $300 a month. I am not currently under a lease where I am at now. Do I have to give the landlord notice about moving?s
You said no lease but you signed some sort of contract when you moved in --didn't you? That will 'usually' state how much notice you have to give..........check it out.

BTW.......you can give the thirty days (if that is what it is) at ANY TIME.........it doesn't have to be the first of the month.

So if you decided now...............then told the current landlord......you would only owe 'partial rent' for March where you are at...........then ask the other landlord if they will work with you.....if you pay the deposit and part of the rent...........never hurts to ask. Will depend on your rental market.

Unless your rental market is very bad I doubt that it will be held for you for a whole month............

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good luck. I hope you get the new place. We are moving on March 5 and are going from a small condo to a decent sized house with a yard. I was so excited when we got approved for the place. Our current landlord is super cool and is using my deposit to pay our last month's rent and then I am paying to have the place professionally cleaned (including carpets).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jen. That means alot. We didnt get approved, but he called and said he didnt even get a chance to go through my stuff because of someone elses application being approved. wasnt meant to be. Good luck to you though! we have a dog that is very hard to find a place with or else it would be apartment time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you don't have a specific lease, most states would consider it a month to month and yes you would need to give a landlord a written notice, usually 30 day.

I know that seems like a waste of time and money but look at it this way: most landlords and even some mortgage companies look at a ten year residental span and do contact landlords, why skip out on this landlord and potential mar what could be otherwise a good reference?

Can you sell something or borrow money for deposit/rent or talk to the potential new landlord and see if they are willing to break the deposit into equal payments that you can pay when you pay your rent. Keeping in mind to pay with either a seperate check or money order that specifically states Sec Dep and/or getting a receipt that states as such.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.