Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, had 3 visits from him. So I'm DONE. Bad luck comes in 3's so not only did I evict him from the guest room, I've evicted him from the house!

$400 in car repair (part not covered) & $75 in car rental for 2 days while car at dealership
$160 for Vet Bill for dog (Oxford won't believe she's my dependent)
$75 for my share of Dentist Bill (deductible and my 20%)

Glad I had the EF.....well, time to build it back up again.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Well you'all can rest easy as he arrived here! Came with a IRS letter.
Just sent these folks over $50,000.00 and they still want more!!!!
Ah, well been down this road before. Means I've only got 2 things to go. Wonder what'll be next.

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I hate to be the bummer here, but I totally am calling not it on inviting Murphy to sleep over here.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thank you for taking him for us Laurie in Bradenton! I am sorry he's visiting you though.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
An IRS letter! :yikes: That must be Murphy with some of his evil friends tagging along with him! That is a Bad Mail Box Day, and should count for at least two of the three. You tell him that from me! Or, no, on second thought, leave me out of it.... I don't want to attract his unwelcome attention.

·
Registered
933 Posts
im waiting for bad news number 3 here. went to get in my car the other day and it wouldn't start. tried it again, wouldn't start. 3rd time, got it started but it tried to die on me. i had to sit there and rev it to keep it going and when it idles, it surges. might just have been flooded, but dont know for sure. then yesterday when i woke up, my less then 1 year old computer monitor went out. im having to borrow a neighbors little tiny one till taxes come in and i can replace it. im just waiting for that last thing to hit me...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Glad Murphy left your house, but Laurie, I'm really sorry he's bunking with you. Hope he stays away from here for a long, long time!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sorry to hear that he seems to be after people with a vengence..always right around the time tax refunds come back.... but I agree.. I call NOT IT :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh Gosh Laurie, I'm sooo sorry. I guess he figured that since that huge snow storm was heading in my direction up here in PA he'd hop on a plane and set off for warmer shores. (I think he may have been on that Jet Blue Plane too the other day.) Now listen, you have to be very firm with him to get him to leave...since I evicted him, I've put on a new Dead-Bolt on the front door. Once again, I'm sooo sorry.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Love the new picture Laurie! Sorry to hear he is visiting you. I am going by an assumed name so hopefully he won't find me when you give him the boot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
:newbie: Sorry to sound dumb... but what the heck are ya'll talking about??? LOL

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you for taking him for us Laurie in Bradenton! I am sorry he's visiting you though.
Laurie's got the fake Murphy. I've got the real one, with way bigger IRS woes than hers. I am seeing some hope with appeals, however..................the money ISN'T theirs. They just haven't been convinced of it yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Autumn1102:

As you may already know, Murphy's Law loosely states that if anything can go wrong, it will.

Dave Ramsey, debt-elimination guru (www.daveramsey.com) whose plan several FVers follow, personifies murphy's law as an unwelcome guest, sometimes house-mate who will move in to live with you and wreak havoc on your financial situtation especially during the debt-elimination phase of your total money makeover.

Dave suggests that you raise $1,000 first as a baby emergency fund before trying to pay off your debts. This money should be for emergencies only and act as an anti-murphy weapon. However, sometimes Murphy moves in with a vengence!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
So sorry to hear that Murphy keeps resurrecting but since November he has been making his rounds around here.:sigh: First, we had to replace our hot-water heater ($462). Then while doing laundry we noticed water on the floor or noticed that the motor of the washer wouldn't start when we tried to fill the washer. So we have been filling buckets of water to fill up the washer. Sometimes, it wouldn't wring out the clothes. And, boy, is it rusted outside. At other times, once the cycle was complete, the washer had moved across the room about 3-4 feet which the children think is hilarious. Keep in mind that our washer/dryer were purchased USED 8 years ago for $100. We replaced the dryer in 3 years ago. So, I guess the washer has done its best.

Last night, DH brought home a new washer (yeah!!!). He wanted to purchase a large one (since we do laundry on once a week on Fridays) and I didn't care what it looked like as long as it functioned!! So, DH spent 2 hours at Home Depot (which is an hour away) haggling for the floor model since that was all that they had, The floor manager wanted to give him 10% off of the $549 price but DH refused. He tried other tactics but DH stood his ground. Finally, they settled on $445 for the product (that's $104 off!!). I haven't seen it yet and can't wait to see how it works.

So, our EF will be down again unless I get a consulting job or DH makes some extra from his business.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts