Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest sheltie has had one long continuous yeast infection for months. First we thought it was fleas (she was bathed the day before given FrontLine which makes the FL not work), then they thought allergies. None of the treatments worked (although switching her food to a chicken base rather than beef did help some) so I did a little researching on my own after getting a good whiff of her one day ...she smells like yeast! Ew!

So we've been bathing her twice a week in medicated shampoo. It seems to give her relief more than help clear it up though. I've also been giving her yogurt every day.

Is there anything else I can be doing to help her? I'd rather do it naturally than anything else.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I understand what you are going through and have a few stories...

Morgan - female black lab- itching, licking, panting. She was diagnosed with Cushings disease and was given treatment. It subsided somewhat but was never really cured once she was on medication. She was put down last year.

Hilda - Pit Bull mix - itching, flaky skin, wouldn't eat and when she did she got the runs or puked it up. She would go on a chicken and rice diet and it would clear up somewhat. Put her on steroids and it was a miracle! She would eat and act as though nothing was wrong. Wean her off of steroids and right back to square one.
So.. the vet started thinking allergies. Back to the chicken and rice and introducing various dog food. Slowly she went back to being sick, itchy and flaky, etc.
Finally after months of trial and error we went to Hills Perscription food "Z D". Now we have a healthy, hungry dog.

So I guess I'm asking... Are you sure it's a yeast infection?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
diabetes? how is her blood sugar?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Give her some probiotics.

Go to the health food store and in the refrigerated section look for the liquid acidophilus. Mix it with her food or water (only about a teaspoon). You can also get an unsweetened yogurt (Dannon plain)to give to her. Just a little bite a day. Too much dairy makes dogs runny. I like to make plain oatmeal, a scoop of canned pumpkin with the yogurt. The oatmeal and pumpkin "slows down" the stuff that the diary makes "speed up" IYKWIM. Be warned that if it is yeast, it will get a little worse before it gets better.

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
PLEASE take the dog to the vet and get a proper diagnosis. Natural is all well and good, BUT first you need to know what is wrong. You can be doing your pet more harm than good. Please don't make your pet suffer needlessly.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sam our female black lab is itching,digging,scratching panting has been to the vet twice on steroids, antibiotics twice, fish oil, anti itch meds, changed her food has been on benadyrl (sp) is going for a bath next Tues the vet has no idea what is causing this Sam is 7 years(14) old and some one told me I may have to put her down because it may never go away I Googled and tried to research this and talked to several vets am going to try the yogurt .
Good luck hope you find help.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm sorry your pets are having a hard time ~ it's so hard when they can't tell you what's wrong.

I always give my dogs a tbsp of yogurt every morning ~ more for digestion since they both eat anything that looks interesting. I wouldn't give more than that because they will get diarrhea.

It really sounds like an allergy and they can be a pain to figure out what it is.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Sam our female black lab is itching,digging,scratching panting has been to the vet twice on steroids, antibiotics twice, fish oil, anti itch meds, changed her food has been on benadyrl (sp) is going for a bath next Tues the vet has no idea what is causing this Sam is 7 years(14) old and some one told me I may have to put her down because it may never go away I Googled and tried to research this and talked to several vets am going to try the yogurt .
Good luck hope you find help.
You could have her tested for Cushings but I warn you... Meds are $100/month.

You can try some of the limited ingredient dog food, but again, not cheap. Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® L.I.D.™ Sweet Potato & Venison Formula For Dogs and Puppies

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
So we've been bathing her twice a week in medicated shampoo. It seems to give her relief more than help clear it up though. I've also been giving her yogurt every day.

Is there anything else I can be doing to help her? I'd rather do it naturally than anything else.
YM - IMO the bathing will end up being excessive and dry her skin out. Plus the medicated shampoo is harsh. Try a moisturizing shampoo.......and make sure you rinse well.......I also use a cream rinse........I use Mane and Tail. Available at WM or a farm store. Really cheap for a pet shampoo!! You get a large container. (years ago a vet told my sister that it was good ph for their horses....so have been using it since........even on me!!) :laugh:

I have had similar problems with my 'little black girl'.....played around with things..........vets say 'no problem'... no antibiotics needed. She wasn't 'itching' but her eyes looked like she was about to bleed to death and she was really red around her female area.

I bathe her about every 3 weeks to a month----give her 1/2 tab. of the 'basic' dog vitamins that WM has. (this helps her skin --but not her eyes or urinary tract 'that much') When she gets real red eyelids I will give her some children's benadryl. I also---and this seems to really help........keep her hair around her pee-pee trimmed as close as I can cut it........and will wash that area about every three to four days with just a wash rag and mild hand soap.

I THINK IT IS ALLERGIES....and am currently TRYING to find a dog food where the first ingredient is MEAT and not some 'corn meal' or other CRAP that they put in them.

Also, one vet TECH (I swear you get more HELP from them than the VETS!!) told me that she has such a SMALL female area that the pee could be splashing back up on her skin and pee-pee and that is causing problems. It is VERY TINY!!

Also, an overweight dog will have more 'tissue' (flab, fat, etc.) back there to create problems.

So.........I think it is a combination of BOTH!!

In reading the other posts......I guess I DO one other thing---and didn't even think about it............when I have yogurt, my two kids get to lick the lid........so have been doing some of that.

GOOD LUCK----and if you find the 'magic bullet' let us know....I think, just like HUMANS, dogs are developing more allergies. And when you read what they eat..........is it any wonder??? I DO NOT want to go to home made dog food! Would rather pay some money for a GOOD BOUGHTEN brand........if you find one let me know!! I haven't found one yet!! Have a website that 'evaluates' them but will have to get back here to post it......and the ones that they say are 'only decent'.....I can't find!

·
Registered
906 Posts
In pets and in humans, yeast and allergies go hand in hand. The yogurt (probiotics/acidophilus) help increase the good gut bacteria which helps kill the bad gut bacteria (yeast and otherwise) which then helps digestion which helps food allergies which helps the body start making its own good bacteria again...

You can use any meds you want but until the gut bacteria is normalized there will be yeasty problems and such.

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
91 Posts
The vet can test the urine for yeast. It's a simple and inexpensive test. Once you know for sure that it's yeast, you can begin a treatment.

Treating the dog for an unconfirmed condition can be detrimental to the dog. Sudden changes in the diet can affect their digestion and make them sick.

Talk to the vet about foods with low residue. Hill's makes it and there are a few brands out there that are limited ingredients. The food is a bit more expensive but I figure the trade off is that there are less 'deposits' in the back yard and they also eat alot less.

I have 3 dogs. One suffers from yeast infections. She does well with regular ear cleanings, a bath once a month (any more than that can irritate her skin) and a limited ingredients diet. I-and so do the dogs-love Dick Van Patten's pet food. I spend $100/month on food for all three of my dogs.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this. It's a terrible thing for an animal to suffer.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I really hope you can get to the bottom of this quickly. If your dog already has been to the vet maybe a second opinion is needed? My adopted dog who we took in at 8 years of age had yeast problems with his ears something terrible. I put him on Solid Gold food and took away all of his treats, he only got kibble for treats. The food is expensive but I fiqured the cost of the food is better than my dog suffering from the ear infections and me having to run him to the vet all the time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
In reading the other posts......I guess I DO one other thing---and didn't even think about it............when I have yogurt, my two kids get to lick the lid........so have been doing some of that.

GOOD LUCK----and if you find the 'magic bullet' let us know....I think, just like HUMANS, dogs are developing more allergies. And when you read what they eat..........is it any wonder??? I DO NOT want to go to home made dog food! Would rather pay some money for a GOOD BOUGHTEN brand........if you find one let me know!! I haven't found one yet!! Have a website that 'evaluates' them but will have to get back here to post it......and the ones that they say are 'only decent'.....I can't find!
It really isn't that hard to make dog food. My grandmother used to make it for the purebreds in her kennel and our trainer suggested it for issues we were having with our girl. Most of the time the kids and the dogs at the same meal (nearly got me into trouble when they told someone they at dog food for lunch -- they were telling their friend as a joke and some [email protected]$#%
overheard them
)
-- oatmeal - gave it to the dog before we added brown sugar
-- potato- plain/baked
-- ground meat - before seasoning
-- beans - before seasoning
-- eggs - boiled -- greens/spinach/broccoli/cauliflower/squash/peas - w/o seasoning
-- raw carrots/peanuts/cube of cheese for a treat...

You don't even have to do it long term. Try it long enough to get rid of symptoms while using the yogurt/acidophilus, then slowly reintroduce your preferred brand. I would keep up with the yogurt/acidophilus since the dog has a history.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Our Mastiff has had horrible yeast infections of the ear, chronically. We were told that the floppy ears don't allow moisture to escape the ear which makes it a prime breeding ground for all sorts of microorganisms. His mother had them all the time too, and she just had a surgery that opens up the ear canal slightly so it can drain better. We are awaiting the results of this to see if Magma should have the same procedure.

We have tried switching the food which didn't work for us. We have also had many prescribed medications that cost us big $$ and they didn't work either. But we frequently flush his ears with peroxide (which he absolutely loves by the way!) And if we are sure there is no open irritation we wipe them with alcohol on a soft cloth. It helps for a while usually, but it eventually comes back.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I agree a vet visit is in order. I saw dogs w/ bad yeast infections in our animal rescue. It is often hard to get rid of. It can really influence behavior. It can be painful and its systemic so bathing won't do it. It may be fungal too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Our older dog used to get yeast infections in her ears. We were always treating her. Then low and behold one day she was running in the grass and came back in covered in hives. She had allergies to pollen. So we were told by the vet that it was okay to give her benadryl when she had a flare up of allergies. We still had to treat her years every so often. If you go this route double check with the vet on the allergy medication because it goes by weight.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks for the info 2GG ---I may try some of it--the yogurt and oatmeal. Will have to really ease them onto it....they can get pukey when I even give them a marrow bone!

Rabbitt............where do you buy this "solid gold' that you mentioned.

And have heard about Dick V Pattens but WHERE do you buy that? Haven't been to Petsmart in awhile but I can't find it here. I tried R. Rays food and they wouldn't eat it---had to trick them and mix it to even get rid of the SMALL bag that I bought.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And have heard about Dick V Pattens but WHERE do you buy that? Haven't been to Petsmart in awhile but I can't find it here. I tried R. Rays food and they wouldn't eat it---had to trick them and mix it to even get rid of the SMALL bag that I bought.
I get it from Petco.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks Russ and MaBC.

Don't have a pet supplies plus but do have Petsmart and Petco and they are close together, so will be going to both of them to check out all of their food. Those two and one other farm supply store are about the only ones I have left to check.

When you read the list of JUNK that is in the food it is no wonder they are getting sick.

My vets here leave a tad bit to be desired!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts