Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you're not paying for CC debt.

It's so odd...

We bought the new house last month. We've been in it for one month and have made two mortgage payments on it. We've also been paying other bills and doing things that we normally do. There is one exception, though. That exception is that we haven't had to make any debt payments to the Mastercard, VISA or Best Buy card in which we carry an outstanding balance from last year. We have used both the MC and VISA, but for large purchases that carrying cash and using our debit card for wouldn't be allowed (we have limits on the debit cards). Those large purchases were for things for the new house. But like good people, we've paid off those balances. And you know what?

We both still have money in our accounts!

I have three cheques waiting to be deposited (which will happen tomorrow) and we're making payments to the inlaws for the help they gave us a couple of years ago. The debt that we have with them will be paid off as soon as we process the tax return, and I believe we'll still have some left over. I'm spending this weekend going back through the Excel spreadsheet and looking for the paperwork that I'd been working on to show us how much we owe them.

We're paying more for the house. The house insurance doubled. But we still have cash. It's so weird. It's like paying off all of those CCs gave us back our freedom. We're not eating out. We're not ordering in. DH is cutting back on smoking, but is spending more on gas than we were in Calgary.

I'm even able to put $100 a month into savings and once we pay off the inlaws, we're putting $100 a month into an RRSP and $100 a month into an RESP.

It's fantastic!

I'm not sure how to classify this, but it sure was worth reflecting upon. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Thank you for sharing that. I love hearing how being responsible with money has it's rewards. Enjoy your freedom and don't let them take it away.:applause:

Cat

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm new to this elation as well. This is the first month that I do not have a house payment and LOC payment. It's a great feeling, huh? Congrats on your hard work. Kudos to you! Thank you for the inspiration to others.

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Absolutely! It's a heady, lighter-than-air feeling to know you do not have that debt. And if this feels good, just wait until the house is paid off, and the inlaws are paid. You will be positively floating!!! Way to go!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
What you have said supports the notion that debt is slavery:

“While boasting of our noble deeds, we are careful to conceal the ugly fact that by our iniquitous money system we have nationalized a system of oppression which, though more refined, is not less cruel than the old system of chattel slavery.”
-Horace Greely -1872, in writing his opinion of the National Banking Act. Greely served a short term in the US House of Representatives (NY 1848-1849).

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
-John Adams

"Banking was conceived in iniquity, and was born in sin. The Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen, they will create enough money, to buy it back again. However, take it away from them, and the great fortunes like mine will disappear, and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But if you wish to remain slaves of Bankers, and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money."
- Sir Josiah Stamp, (President of the Bank of England in the 1920´s, the second richest man in Britain)

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"The system of banking is a blot left in all our Constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction.…I sincerely believe that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity... is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
--Thomas Jefferson

·
4,028 Posts
Sounds like success to me! Congratulations on doing so well.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Congratulations!!

For me this was just about a year ago. The feeling of calling up my credit card company and telling them "now that my balance is paid off, please cancel the automatic monthly payments" -- nothing like it!! Enjoy your FREEDOM!

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is fantastic! :tay:

I'm looking forward to having the same feeling here soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.