Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought we could make a fun list.

I lived in the country and knew it was not city living when the highlight of the town was the ace hardware store.

Also, giving directions like one street up from the flashing light and if you see the general store than you've gone too far. It's after the railroad tracks but before the big oak tree, but not as far as Kennedy Farms.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
You know you live in the country when:

- the house you bought is known as the Brigg's house, not by your name.

- when you don't see a 7-11, and all the stores close at 6 pm.

- when milk and bread prices are way higher than when you purchased them in the city

- when the few stores that are there have been in the family for generations and generations

- when nothing is opened on Sundays

- when you walk into the local post office, and most of the town has congregated each day to talk about the weather.

Sara, I like the one about directions. Thats what you find here has well.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The day our flashing light became a regular signal light was a sad day.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You also know you are in the country when everything is "just down the road a piece" and no one knows what a "Starbucks" is but we all know where "Rural King" is!!!!!:D

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had a neighbor that gardened, but could never eat what he planted. We would end up with so many tomatoes and zuchinni.
I remember looking and seeing all his tomatoes lined up and ripening on his window sills. LOL

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I just thought of another couple. When you move into town and all the seniors get excited because you have kids. Now the local school will remain open!!! Course if you homeschool, then its not quite so exciting.

When you have bats in your attic and no one gets excited because they do as well.

When a movie comes to town, the whole town comes out for it, even if its a kid's movie.

When you go for a drive, everyone waves at you.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
You know you live in a small town in the country when....
-everybody knows your name
-gossip travels faster than a speeding bullet
-you can walk everywhere in town within 10 minutes
-you and your neighbors watch out for each other
-most of the town is related to one another
-You can hang out your wash, including the underwear and no one even blinks an eye
-the restaurant in town is also known as "gossip central"
-if someone is going through a hard time, the community pitches in to help
-your kids have lots of adopted grandmas, grandpas, uncles and aunts
-if your kids get in trouble, you'll hear about it before they even make it home
-there are no fast food joints
-pizza delivery is a pipe dream (so is having a pizza parlor)
-stoplight? what's that?

(I'm describing my town to a T)

:toothy:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes!!! The waving. hehe

I worked at the local florist which was in the old train depot and I lived in the old grain mill.

The pics are of the train depot long before it was the florist i worked at, BUT the road and grass stayed as is and not blacktopped over. The buildings to the left turned into apartments and a beauty salon and the big building in the back turned into a napa auto parts. LOL

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was our Main St. It looks just the same, but no canopies and certainly no cars parking like that anymore.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
When your neighbours know your business before you do. :eek:

If the sirens go off, everyone hops in their cars to follow either the old firetruck or the ambulance.

Where there are community shower gifts.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I just thought of a few more!
- people sneak around at night leaving their excessproduce on your doorstep :toothy:
-there is always someone you can call that will have the answer to your canning questions (heck, they might just come over and show you how)
-trading recipes is considered major social bonding, the same goes for lending tools for the men folk
- people give you starts of their plants
-when you walk through your garden you tell people the irises are from old Mrs. Jenkins, the peonies are from Grandma Ann, the daylillies from Grandma Eva, etc.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The whole neighborhood helped with house projects. My family practically built the next door neighbor's home. We all would get our wood at the same time and would chop and stack the same weekend.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
When the county newspaper (because your town is so small that it does not have a newspaper:D ) reports who had dinner at who;'s house and what was served. That is our little paper to a tee. It also tells had company and who it was, and who is feeling under the weather. It is wonderful! I love my little town in the country.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I love all of those sayings, just wish I had some to add:) ....I envy you all who live in small towns and rural areas;)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
When your neighbor likes you enough to "borrow" things from your garage/shed even when you're not home. And you always know where to find that gadget that disappeared 3 months ago :toothy:

When your neighbor likes you enough that he will let his coon dogs or beagles use your yard for "hunting rabbit" practice.

When you can see miles and miles of stars at night, hear the crickets and bullfrogs singing their nightly tune and watch the deer grazing in your yard.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Everything I was going to say has already been said,so I'll just make a few comments lol

We have a local paper like Kathy does. They print who had dinner with who,who's in the hospital,who had a baby,who's getting married,who has a birthday,and who went on vacation and where they went. of course everyone already knows all this before the paper comes out on Thursday lol

and..I have tomatoes in my kitchen window right now :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts