Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing a fair amount of camping with the kids without dh this year because of his job. I have a few things I do to streamline it, but if you've got some better ones let me know. BTW- We tent camp usually without electricity.
The best thing I did was stop packing a bag for each child. Now I pack a walmart bag for each day with a complete change of clothes for each one, 1-2 extar day bags depending on how long we will be and a colder weather bag with jeans, jackets, and socks for each one. This elemenated the need to dig in 4 bags everytime someone needed to change. I just label each wal-mart bag and stick them in a big duffle.
I take 2 small empty plastic tubs and put them in the tent. One is for shoes and one is for pajamas. That way I can find them when needed.
So what is your best tip?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
We take Easier games Mancala and cards are easy to grab and fun for all to play. We also take books, the chapter kind. I don't know how old your kids are but I have always instructed my Dd not to leave the tent in the a.m. until I am up to go with her. We tent camp alone too with out Dh. I get as muck of the food ready as I can. If we are making scrambled eggs for breakfast I have them all mixed and in a jar, all I need to do if shack vigorusly. I also have 2 plastic tubs one with food and the other with supplies. We have only been camping for 3 years but it all seams to work for us fine.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea with the eggs! We have a food tub and other supply tubs. I am going to cook a few whole chickens and take the meat off. I figured I could just reheat it in some foil.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I take things that are already cooked and require some reheating... These are easy enough for the kids to really help with the cooking.... Pancakes warmed in foil next to the coals, are a lot easier than trying to mix and cook pancakes.....
I made nature packs for my kids, they have a lot of stuff to have a real adventure and a learning experience !

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
You ladies have some great ideas. I never thought of the putting the eggs in a jar trick or the pancakes in foil next to the coals either. You ladies always amaze me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When my son was younger we would bring a potty for him to use so that we wouldn't have to walk to the bathrooms so many times. My husband mentioned that when he went camping as a child, his mother would make sure to bring extra shoes and socks. His feet were always wet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts