Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up at supper tonight and i wanted some more opions on it. My daughters friends came over to spend the night. (they are twins) supper was made and they were going to eat here. They decided they didn't like what we were having which is fine. DO you give that child something else. (one wanted luttuce and one wanted peas). (my husband and i discussed it after supper we were taught when you were at someone elses house you ate what is on the table. Are we really old.They went home to eat because we decided that they were going to have what we had fixed. (Tuna Noodle cassarol) (sp?). there was a time that i would have completely changed the whole menu for a child but now i think this is what we are having and they live up the street i didn't know they were going to be here until 10 minutes before it was on the table. (BTW the family sat at the table and there is just enough for one person to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.) what do you do????
:angel:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I tell them that this isn't a restaraunt and we do NOT have a drive-throguh window! They can eat what is provided or do without. I have the same philosophy for my own kids. I'm sorry, but those kids are RUDE. Good for yot--stick to your principles!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
This has never happened to me. I don't even ask if they like what I am serving, so maybe some friends have eaten something they didn't like at our home, but have not told us. lol Sometimes I can see they don't like it because they eat slow or leave some, but I don't say a word and smile inside, thinking they are making an effort.

My second son is a very picky eater, but getting so much better. He has developed many new tastes by eating at friends' house and being too shy to say he didn't like the meal, tried it and even liked it after. For example this happened with fish and lasagna, which he always complained at my home. Now he eats it here too!lol!

So I agree with what you did and I'm so suprised to see the friends leave because they didn't like the meal! Being a kid, I would be too shy and embarrassed to do that!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I've taught my kids to always show good manners, especially at someone elses home. Those girls were rude! Of course, I would make an exception if the child had allergies.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
In my home you eat whats on the table, I don't fix special for my kids and I never think to ask guests if they like what were having or not.. But If they dont eat it I dont make an issue of it

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I wouldn't change my menu... but I might offer the kid a bowl of cereal or a sandwich instead.
So, I'm a pushover! :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
DD1 eats at her friend's house alot. She is polite, and tries things she doesn't like, or has never had. She is welcome there to help herself to a sandwich if she doesn't like what is served, and her friend will join her, just so DD isn't left out.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well let me add that these children live 3 houses up the street. does that make a diffrence. If they were from across town i would have thought diffrently.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I cannot believe this post! I would NEVER have turned my nose up at food that was being offered at a friends house. I'm allergic to seafood, and when I was staying at someone's house that didn't know it, I just ate the side dishes rather than put the Mom out, making me something else. I would have gotten in so much trouble with my own parents if they heard I went to someone else's house and said I didn't like what they were serving. Dd is only one and a half, but trust me...her friends are eating what I serve or they aren't eating at all! (Unless, of course, I know ahead of time that they are allergic to something...then I won't make it.)

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
We recently had an experience like that on a camping trip! Our oldest granddaughter brought along a friend. She didn't even drink "Dark sodas" as she called them! We bought her some Mountain Dew. She didn't like a lot of the stuff we had brought but, we tried to make sure she had something to eat.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i wouldn't have changed it, but maybe offered something else. i haven't had to go through this yet. my daughter is only 4, and my son 17 months. i would've offered a hot dog or a sandwich....;) ;)
but, like you said, they decided at the last minute they were eating, they should have been happy you were going to let them stay!! ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
HOW RUDE!!!
I wouldn't have changed the menu! I also was taught to eat what is on your plate, no matter who's house you are in.
And even if you don't like what is being served, always compliment the cook.
But being that they live so close - I don't see a problem with them going home to eat.
Let them be picky in their own house! Let their parents make 2 different meals! Better them than you! LOL
I will not -run a restaurant - my 2 know if they don't like what we are having then they can go hungry.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Eat or starve- that's my motto. I don't blame the kids for being rude- they must have learned it from somewhere (the parents). If the parents want to cook 3 different meals each night- more power to them. As long as it's not you. I loved going over to other people's houses to eat when I was a kid, My mom was one of those who made the same exact things every week- Monday's was baked chicken with rice, Tues was speghetti etc so I loved eating different things.

I have a friend who is a riot. She watches a couple of the neighbors boys after school a couple days a week. One afternoon I was there while they were there and one of them asked what she was making for dinner. I can't remember what she told them, but one of the boys said "Eeew! I don't like that!" and she told him straight out "Good, one less mouth I have to feed tonight". PMPLMBO!!

Laura

1 - 13 of 13 Posts