Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, after reading the post about creative frugal recipes, what about the other side.
For those special occassions, or just every now & then, what is your favourite dish/specialty you love to make, but don't often due to it not being "frugal"?

I love to make a real lasagna. Cheese isn't something we eat often and it's rather pricey (for the real stuff!). And it also takes more time than I usually am willing to spend making dinner. (even with the no-boil pasta, it still takes a while.)
(not to mention, the homemade bread, salad & dessert).

How 'bout you?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A cake that takes 17 oz of dark chocolate - and I use high quality dark at that - and orange liqueur! It's a sinful dish - financially and wieght-wise!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Its not really a recipe but a occasional splurge is good steak or a box of coconut shrimp with fresh asparagus. Yum!

·
27,948 Posts
Oh...my...want to make me happy just incorporate cheese, pasta & seafood into an omg dish.

Cheese and pasta are my weaknesses, add succulent seafood atop...I am in heaven.
They say that bread, cheese & wine are the basics. Lets just say I am a big fan.;)
You asked for a recipe, I'll add one of mine tomorrow.;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Greek Stuffed Steak

1 10 oz package spinach – thawed and squeezed dry
1/3 cup red onion – finely chopped
2 tbsp garlic – minced
2 tbsp dry bread crumbs
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese – grated
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Mist of olive oil
1 ½ pound flank steak – trimmed
1 (14 ½ ounce) can beef broth
½ cup dry red wine
½ cup water
½ tsp oregano

Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

Trim fat from steak. Butterfly cut the steak down the longer side on a cutting board. Open the steak like a book and place wax paper or plastic wrap over the steak. Use a rolling pin or meat mallet to pound the steak into one large, even steak.

Spread spinach mixture over the steak, leaving a one-inch margin along all sides. Roll up the steak, jellyroll fashion, starting with the short side. Secure the roll at 2-inch intervals using kitchen twine or string.

Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add steak and brown well on all sides. Add broth, wine, water, and oregano to the pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender – turning meat once. Add additional water during cooking if needed.

When finished, remove string and cut into 8 equal pieces. Serve with cooking liquid.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Steak with my hubby's Beef Rub. I have no idea what is int he rub...it's top secret, he won't even tell me! I have to leave the kitchen when he makes it (It's more of a joke, than him actually wanting to keep it secret these days).

That and my grandma's chocolate cake! I make that maybe once a year!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh...my...want to make me happy just incorporate cheese, pasta & seafood into an omg dish.

Cheese and pasta are my weaknesses, add succulent seafood atop...I am in heaven.
They say that bread, cheese & wine are the basics. Lets just say I am a big fan.;)
You asked for a recipe, I'll add one of mine tomorrow.;)
OK, now I am just drooling.... :) That sounds delicious.

Katie

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Kahlua Truffle Layer Cake

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Sauerbraten, ummmm can't think of another, but that greek stuffed steak sounds wonderful!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
King crab legs OMG'sh I love them could live on them alone but holly molly they are pricey

·
Registered
628 Posts
My splurge would be a good steak.....hubby's would be king crab legs.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oooh! I havent had paella in years!
i used to make a veggie version of it... but saffron is so expensive, it's a rare treat...

i'm thinking this weekend! :hungry:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ok now I have to go and make lasagna. I use lots of italian sausage, ricotta, pepperoni and lots and lots of cheese. Sounds like supper to me and breakfast and lunch and............................

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
EEWWW yum lasagna.

For me it would be snowcrablegs or lobster. I usually get a craving for lobster in the summer. So it is a once a year thing.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Splurge purchase---crab stuffed mushrooms. 4.98$ a pound! YIKES!!!!

Splurge Recipe---Blushing Penne Pasta....requires half and half.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I love lobster, and all other seafood. I rarely buy lobster because of the price. But let me tell you what.....

We went to Branson, MO a couple summers ago (It's close for us, so was a cheap vacation). Sat thru one of those condo pitches for a time share, and our reward was a free dinner at a super restuarant and tickets to a show. Anyway, the restuarant was an all you can eat seafood buffet, and on the buffet was TADA!!!!! DRUMROLL!!!!!!!! Lobster!!!!!!! :munch:

Now I'm kind of little, wasn't built too big at all, but I put away almost 20 lobsters!!!!!! Hubby sat and cracked them for me, and I just kept dipping them in butter. Oh my........ I could barely walk out of there, kept thinking "Just one more, one more"...... Those lobsters kept swimming all night in my tummy, but it was so worth it.

I also enjoy a great steak that is so butter tender that my fork will cut it.

I am hungry; excuse me while I find something to munch on.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts