Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you post your family's fave cake recipe? I need some new ones!:hungry: I saw this and wanted to bake a cake.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
LOL whatever is on sale in a mix from the grocery store, lol.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i just had a cake at mil's house yesterday that was to die for.:toothy: i asked for the recipe, but until i get it, i'll tell ya what i know is in it. it is a lemon angel food cake with frosting made out of cream cheese, cool whip, and 3 packages of lemon pudding. the frosting was also a filling that went through the middle of the cake. it was soooooooo good. and was sooooo pretty too.:D i will get the real recipe and share it.;)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
This is my mom's recipe for "Panhandy Pudding"-- a moist chocolate snack cake. This is what I make when a bad chocolate craving hits-- I usually have everything I need on hand.

PANHANDY PUDDING
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 TBSP cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBSP veg. oil
1 TBSP vinegar
1 TBSP vanilla
1 cup cold water
powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 (or 8x8) pan with non-stick cooking spray. Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and blend with hand mixer. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top while still warm.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
:bump: what's your favorite cake recipe?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Cinn. Swirl bunt cake

1 reg. box yellow cake mix
1 3oz box vanilla instant pudding
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp butter flavoring (a must)
4 eggs

1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinn.
1/4 cup chopped pecans

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1 3/4 Tbsp. milk

Combine cake mix, pudding, oil, water, vanilla, butter flavoring and eggs in large bowl of mixer. Mix on low speed until moistened, then on high speed for 10 minutes.

Grease and dust with flour or spray with cooking spray a 10 inch bunt pan. Sprinkle chopped pecans on bottom. Over the nuts sprinkle spoon 1/3 batter.
Combine sugar, cinn. and sprinkle 1/2 over the batter.
Spoon 1/3 of the remaining batter and sprinkle with rest of cinn and sugar.Pour remaining batter over the top.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour on until cake test done.

Let cool 8 minutes before removing from pan.

combine sugar, vanilla, butter flavoring and milk to make a glaze.
Drizzle glaze over cake while warm.

This is my husbands favorite cake. It is his mothers recipe and reminds him of her as she died 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt Cake

Streusel
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinn.
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
2 tsp. butter or marg.

Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBLS. cinn.
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter or marg. softened
4 eggs
1 cup pumpkin
1 8oz sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan.

For Streusel
Combine brown sugar, cinn. and allspice in a small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.

For Batter
Combine flour, cinn., baking powder, soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla extract; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture.

To assemble
Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel over batter, not allowing to touch sides of pan. Top with remaining batter. Make sure batter layer touches sides of pan.

Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in the pan on wire rack. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with glaze.

For glaze
Combine 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 2 to 3 Tablespoons of orange juice or milk in small bowl; stir until smooth.

This is a very moist cake.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Lemon poppy seed cake

1 lemon cake mix
poppyseeds
lemon juice.

Make cake mix according to directions
add 1 Tablespoon lemon juice while mixing
add poppyseeds (I add til it looks good)

Bake to box directions

Frost with powdered sugar frosting
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Table spoon lemon juice
few drops of yellow foodcoloring.

mix and frost when cake is cooled.

This is my sons favorite desert.

can make these int cupcakes as well.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Choc. Chip Banana Choc. Cake

1 chocolate cake mix
1 ripe banana
1/2 to 3/4 cup choc. chips

Make cake mix according to directions but decrease the amount of water a little bit as the banana will give some moisture.
add banana and mix.
Stir in choc. chips

Grease and flour or spray a bundt cake pan. Pour in batter and bake to box directions.

This is vey good with vanilla ice cream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts