Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the posts on the Economy rising prices of everything and a uncertain future has me thinking that my boys will have a very hard time making ends meet (if at all) when they're old enough to be out on their own...My thoughts on family living with family to survive is really looking like it's heading in that direction..I hear my co-workers say how their children are moving back home cause they just can afford to pay their rent along with the bills they need to pay...I can just imagine what it's gonna be like 4yrs from now when my oldest turns 18.... I would rather that my boys stay with us for as long as they have to so I don't have to worrie about them struggling...Do you see the same future for your children?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I worry very much about my girls future. My plan is to stay in my house until its paid for and either give it to my girls or add on for them. Depending on my own financis. Their college is already paid for by grandma so why shouldnt I start plaining for their housing?Someboy else was talking about instead of a colledge degree they thought it would be more helpful to pay for their first home.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My kids are still very young, but I am terrified. I know it's just because I don't want them to be in the same situation I am in right now--I definitely want things more stable for them. Part of my "process" for getting through things right now is to envision my plan(such as it is lol)--buying them each a piece of land and saving for them to build their own homes. I'm not talking a huge expanse, just a few acres. They'll probably sell it, but that will be their choice. Right now, I can buy property way cheaper than sending them to college!

Someday, maybe....

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly I never thought of buying them land or a house..Heck we can't even afford to buy a house...

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
We cant afford to buy them a house or even a car, my oldest DS is moving on campus in August, my middle son probably wont go to college but get a job right away, my DD is only 11 right now so there might be something we can do in 7 years time, maybe by then our finances will improve and we will have something saved but even with the economy now, it's hard to do that even at this very moment, which not only scares me for my DD's future but mine and my DH's as well.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I won't have kids for years, if ever, but I know it's getting harder. Even at 24 I feel like I'm having a harder time.

I think if I do have kids I want to focus on teaching them to live well on less, not buy into the consumerism hype so much, and stress the importance of education. I don't think I'd flat out pay for all their education and housing and whatnot though. I'd rather help them out where necessary but encourage them to find scholarships with hard work, and teach them how to take care of themselves, financially.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We cant afford to buy them a house or even a car, my oldest DS is moving on campus in August, my middle son probably wont go to college but get a job right away, my DD is only 11 right now so there might be something we can do in 7 years time, maybe by then our finances will improve and we will have something saved but even with the economy now, it's hard to do that even at this very moment, which not only scares me for my DD's future but mine and my DH's as well.

maybe by then our finances will improve and we will have something saved but even with the economy now, it's hard to do that even at this very moment, which not only scares me for my DD's future but mine and my DH's as well.

I totally agree!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't have kids for years, if ever, but I know it's getting harder. Even at 24 I feel like I'm having a harder time.

I think if I do have kids I want to focus on teaching them to live well on less, not buy into the consumerism hype so much, and stress the importance of education. I don't think I'd flat out pay for all their education and housing and whatnot though. I'd rather help them out where necessary but encourage them to find scholarships with hard work, and teach them how to take care of themselves, financially.

I understand where your coming from as far as teaching them to live below their means which I have been teaching them for years..However even without consumerism just being able to pay rent in my area anyway is no less then $800 a month(for a shack) without anything included...It will only get worse in the years to come..

·
Registered
306 Posts
My mom and I have talked about this a fair bit. We both have said that it is going to end up family's living with family's. My mom is terrified of what will happen to her when she gets older. So we have decided that she would end up living with us. Yes we both would sell our houses and buy something bigger or we would move in there and she would move to the granny sweet downstairs. I have excepted the fact that my DD and any other children we have will probably be living with us for quite awhile. I am sure it will be a full house.
Everything is going up in price and pays are not. I can't imagine how much things will be buy the time I am old, or even by the time DD is old enough to be out on her own. We will not be able to buy our children a car or a house, the most we can do is we have been putting money away for education.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We share housing with my FIL. He is elderly and likes my dh to help him manage things like doctors appointments. It started out that we were having a tough time financially and moved in with the in-laws. MIL became ill and we were here to take care of her until her death. We give up some privacy, but we live in a high cost of living area and dh and I have health struggles and lots of health related bills, so this actually works out best for us to share housing. We cook, clean and do laundry for us and FIL and we share some of the bills. Truthfully, it is the only way that we could make it with our incomes, high cost of living area and rising prices.

I think that you will see more and more families doing this in the future.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think we will be headed for a time when families will rely more on each other to survive. If I wasn't living with my fiance I would be living at home, I couldn't afford to live on my own with rent so high (at least in a safe neighborhood). My mom and step dad have a big house and they are my rock, I know I can go to them to get back on my feet anytime and it's a relief. My grandma lives with them, she could no longer afford to live on her own with her meager retirement and Social Security. My other grandma lives with my aunt and uncle because she couldn't physically or financially take care of herself after my grandpa passed away last June. If I have children someday, I will have them live with me and come home whenever they want to. It's an expensive world and I am sure it will continue to become even more expensive. I also fully expect to have my parents or my fiance's parents living with us at some point. I don't mind the idea of extended family living together, I think it will be the only way for everyone to survive financially in the future. For my part, I am trying to pay off all of my debts within the next few years and begin saving. I have cut out a lot of unnecessary spending and I know how difficult and fickle the job market is, so I realize I can't always count on having a good, steady pay check to see me through.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I have always thought that we will have to support our boys because of the economy. We are fortunate to purchase them a car, but I know there is no way we can purchase them a house or land. I guess they can always live in their car....Just kidding! DS#1 graduated in 2006 and could not find a job that was good enough to support him on his own. He was also going to college part time while working to try to better himself. He finally gave up and joined the Marines. I think he knew too that he would have to be living at home for quite awhile. We told the boys after DS#1 graduated that they could live with us as long as they needed, BUT they would have to be working or going to school. They weren't going to just live here and do nothing. I think the other 2 are now thinking maybe military too since DS#1 joined. I think it is sad that our children can't make enough to support themselves after high school and sometimes after college.

Reactions: Brat

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I do not believe it is ever good to support grown children. Struggle is a part of life, everyone has had to do it. I can remember my parents when they first started out, in a shack, not exactly the best neighborhood. Times were rough then as well.It wasn't easy when we were starting out as well. Low paying jobs, school, struggling. But we were driven to succeed.Live with Mama and Papa? NEVER.Mama and Papa live with us? Nada- they said it would crimp their independence.LOL

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well, there's two ways to look at this. It used to be done more often than people think. Families living close together or in the same house. I guess it all depends on the child that has come back. My Dh's oldest keeps knocking at the door, trying to come back, but she can't take care of the one (she has 6 kids) she has custody of. That being said, because it's such a long story, she wants everyone to wait on her hand and foot. She is sick a lot, but truthfully it's more about her attitiude and choices that we won't let her in. That and her refusal to help in any way.
But OTOH, if you have a child that is resposible and at least makes an effort to support himself then I see no problem with them moving back home to get back on their feet, or even to live, as long as they contribute and don't expect me to do everything. Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have 4 children, I have been telling them for as long as I can remember to not be in a hurry to grow up and move out, focus on getting a good education and live off of us for as long as possible. Though I would love to raise my kids where I grew up, we chose to live here because they have so many choices for school in Raleigh and can live at home.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My girls are grown and i have grandchildren. Both my girls a doing better than i have. I worry about my grandchildrens future. Then i remember that i need to put them in the Lords hands and trust that he will take care of them. My son in law said (he is from Germany) that people will have to go back to the ways his family was raised on the farm. Grandparents and parents and the children all live together and run the farm. I like this idea. I raised my girls to be independant so i don't know how they would fill but i know that they would take care of their children. I would love that all of us would live together i had a really bad time with the empty nest when my girls left home with their lives.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The world is going to change, and change in a massive way. What we are seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg. In the western world, the massive levels of isolation and loneliness experienced by so many people now will slowly change because we will no longer be so focused on consumerism - we will instead be focused on where the next meal will come from. At this point I believe we will come full circle and start to treat our elderly generations with the respect and long term care that they deserve because they are the only ones that have first hand knowledge of struggling in a vast economic crisis (I'm talking about the Depression and WW II here). This I believe to be a good thing.

The comments everyone has raised about becoming more family focussed are very valid but I feel it won't stop just at that. Instead of shopping at Walmart we will instead go back to shopping over the fence with our neighbours produce. There will be mass migration out of the cities and sprawling suburbia because both these geographical areas are completely unsustainable and people will starve to death living there. There will be a shift back to the land; people will have a few acres and have community gardens and farms; people will pool knowledge and resources for the common benefit of all.

So those thinking about investing in land are on the right track - make sure the land is not contaminated by 50 years worth of pesticide, herbicide and fertiliser abuse and that it has a good water supply.

I don't want to paint too gloomy a picture but I believe the future will be a scenario on a sliding scale. On one extreme end is what we have now. On the other end will be a mixture of Orwells "1984", Wyndhams "Day of the Triffids" and the movie "Escape from New York".

My guess, for the western world, is it will be somewhere in the middle.

The rest of the world struggles with poverty and disease now and that is not going to change much in the future. I think in some respects the future holds less surprises for poorer countries who are still so closely connected to the land and Mother Earth, then ourselves, who are so dissociated from Nature.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Reading the posts on the Economy rising prices of everything and a uncertain future has me thinking that my boys will have a very hard time making ends meet (if at all) when they're old enough to be out on their own...My thoughts on family living with family to survive is really looking like it's heading in that direction..I hear my co-workers say how their children are moving back home cause they just can afford to pay their rent along with the bills they need to pay...I can just imagine what it's gonna be like 4yrs from now when my oldest turns 18.... I would rather that my boys stay with us for as long as they have to so I don't have to worrie about them struggling...Do you see the same future for your children?
I think there are multiple things to look at here.
1) (co-workers kids moving back in) This could be due to irresponsibility or knowing that they don't "have" to stuggle because mom and dad will help them out. The economy is getting rougher and harder to make it on your own but the uestion comes don to why someone would be moving back in.
2) There is the question of us questioning our parenting skills if our kids don't make it on there own
3) What we think may be in our kids best intrest may not be what "they" think is in there best intrest. (When I was ready to fly the coup I wanted my independance a lot more than the comfort of home)

and here's the main one
4) is this culture where the nuclear family has been asked to survive on its own, in isolation, ever really been attainable/sustainable for an entire culture? I grew up kind of old school. Until they passed away my grandmother, grandfather, and great-grandmother lived downstairs from us (in the same house). My great aunt and uncle lived next door. The supports and oppotunities this provided for EVERYONE can't even be counted. As a teenager with what I saw from lots of other places (and my personality itself- I tend to be a loner) drove me towards making it on my own. The older I get the more the old school ways of everyone living together (or at least very, very close ) becomnes more appealing to me. So I do see my children being home or close by as part of our future if that's what they choose as continue to try and keep some of that alive.

·
27,948 Posts
Sounds like we are heading back to the days of the depression and the Waltons. Families taking care of one another & living within or below their means. In some ways it's a good thing...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Part of life is struggle and that struggle makes you who you are. Now I am all for helping out when they are having a rough go a little bit but I think people need to know how to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. I would not thinking of buying my kids a house ( cant afford to either). They can share an apt with a roommate etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts