Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so they were running some sort of promo on their FaceBook page for Free Cookie Dough Bar coupons. Well, my coupon came in the mail today. So I was curious and went to their website. Here's what they have to say about their newest line.

"A Cookie Dough Nutrition Bar? Tasting is believing. We believe a nutrition bar doesn't have to taste like a nutrition bar. So, inspired by the chewy goodness of everyone's favorite chocolate chip, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin cookie dough flavors, we created something quite incredible — a bar that tastes like cookie dough but acts like a nutrition bar."

This is the ingredients list on the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor:

Brown Rice Syrup, Corn Syrup, Chocolate Drops (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla), Sodium Caseinate, Soy Protein Isolate, Sweet Cream Layer (Corn Syrup, Fructose, Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Whey Protein Isolate, Brown Sugar, Pasteurized Whole Egg Powder, Fructose Syrup, Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder [Processed With Alkali], Soy Lecithin, Vanilla), Glycerine. Less Than 2% Of The Following: High Oleic Safflower Oil And/Or High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Butter Powder (Butter [Cream, Salt], Nonfat Milk, Tocopherols, Ascorbyl Palmitate), Peanut Butter, Natural Flavor, Chocolate Powder (Natural Cocoa Powder, Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla), Salt.

Vitamins And Minerals: Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Ferrous Fumarate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin.

CONTAINS MILK, EGGS, PEANUT AND SOY INGREDIENTS; MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT PROCESSES TREE NUTS AND WHEAT.
Please refer to product label for most current ingredient, allergen and nutrition information

The first two ingredients are SYRUPS?! This is supposed to be "food" ?! The sixth ingredient's main component is another syrup. Keep reading and you'll find more syrups, oils and sugar. Ok, yeah, I know...what can I really expect when it says COOKIE DOUGH on the package, but cookie dough flavor and literally cookie dough are two different things in my opinion LOL... Sort of like cheese flavor and actual cheese are pretty far from being the same. Zone Perfect also has different varieties that aren't in the "cookie dough line" and even most of those have a syrup listed as the second ingredient. So much for a nutrition bar. How exactly are brown rice syrup and corn syrup supposed to "act" (their word, see above) nutritious? I think I may leave the coupon on the box for someone else to take after reading that list of ingredients...

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Well....in the case of someone traveling or 'on the go' that needs the 'nutrition' and just doesn't have the time...this is what they grab vs a choc bar. I'm assuming this has protein vs most chocolate bars don't. Are the syrups listed supposedly better for you then plain white sugar/glucose? The Zone bar prob has added vitamins/nutrients which choc bars don't have either.

My sister introduced me to Lara Bar - its made mostly of figs/dates and other wholesome stuff. Tasty and better for you. http://www.larabar.com/

But I do agree - all the chemicals in there, how can they call it food right? Sounds to me that this is marketed as a glorified chocolate bar. I'd rather eat real food myself. Treats are ok...but prefer food overall.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well....in the case of someone traveling or 'on the go' that needs the 'nutrition' and just doesn't have the time...this is what they grab vs a choc bar. I'm assuming this has protein vs most chocolate bars don't. Are the syrups listed supposedly better for you then plain white sugar/glucose? The Zone bar prob has added vitamins/nutrients which choc bars don't have either.

My sister introduced me to Lara Bar - its made mostly of figs/dates and other wholesome stuff. Tasty and better for you. Gluten Free Nutrition Bars, Energy Bars, Fruit & Nut Bars - LARABAR

But I do agree - all the chemicals in there, how can they call it food right? Sounds to me that this is marketed as a glorified chocolate bar. I'd rather eat real food myself. Treats are ok...but prefer food overall.
It does have added vitamins and such. I just have a hard time calling something like this "food" when a multivitamin can do everything this thing does, minus the all the crap. With all the convenience foods out there anymore (little bags of nuts, single serving string cheese, heck whole fruit even) even just eating it being rushed for time doesn't hold much ground with me lol. I guess it's probably better than eating a Snickers for lunch...but not by much. If I'm going to have maple syrup with my waffles then I expect it to be syrup, but I guess if I'm eating a nutrition bar I just expect it to be made out of something else, kwim? I have tried the Lara Bars. They're yummy :)

Oh, and brown rice syrup is "all natural" but I don't know if it's supposedly better for you than other types or not. Kind of like these new "corn sugar" commercials you see on TV; they say that "sugar is sugar" and your body doesn't know the difference. I think they're trying to combat the anti-high fructose corn syrup trend. So, honestly, heck if I know what to believe. Are eggs good or bad for you this year? lol

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
LOL I totally hear you about mass media advertising going overboard. Moderation is key and I'd rather pack my own snacks anyhow - as you said, fruit, plain nuts, cheese or hard boiled eggs etc. This way "I" know whats in them b/c "I" care. (we don't have single servings of string cheese sold here yet like down in the US or it isn't as common)

However as a last resort - I'd really have to think hard about what to pick while out: salted nuts (any nut w/salt is too salty to me now and I love salt), chocolate bar, chips or a 'nutrition' bar. I may be tempted to opt for the latter. :(

Boy...when did I get old and care about what I eat? Whats next.....me packing firm tofu cubes in my purse as a 'protein punch' for the mid afternoon munchies? :lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably shouldn't have looked at the ingredients list. I suppose if I look at it like it's a candy bar I can still eat the darn thing lol. Btw, this is my all-time favorite:

I don't even know if they still make them or not....I just went to the Snickers web site and can't find it....hmmmm

Edit: yep, discontinued...:(

Double Edit: Oh good, I can still buy it on Ebay...from Austria....on second thought, I'll get over it.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
OMG what else is in that besides peanuts?! Rice 'puffs'? That sounds tasty!! Of all the choc bars to buy that would be a good one b/c it has peanuts but not a huge fan of caramel ooey gooey things after I've had a bite or two.

DO NOT buy them on EBAY LOL!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, I admit I'm a sucker for the Zone bars. I buy them sometimes.
Are they any good? I didn't mean for it to sound like a "don't buy Zone products" thread. Like Libby said, in moderation it's fine. I'm just the type who would eat this as a candy bar/snack more so than say, lunch LOL. I've never tried them though. I think they are running that promotion for several months. If you "like" them on Facebook you'll get their updates every time they put out the form for another free bar coupon.

OMG what else is in that besides peanuts?! Rice 'puffs'? That sounds tasty!! Of all the choc bars to buy that would be a good one b/c it has peanuts but not a huge fan of caramel ooey gooey things after I've had a bite or two.

DO NOT buy them on EBAY LOL!
LOL, yeah I think that's what it is, crisp rice. And it's held together by a carmel like substance but very little of it. They're AWESOME lol. I won't buy them on eBay hehe, I was kidding I promise :D

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Are they any good? I didn't mean for it to sound like a "don't buy Zone products" thread. Like Libby said, in moderation it's fine. I'm just the type who would eat this as a candy bar/snack more so than say, lunch LOL. I've never tried them though. I think they are running that promotion for several months. If you "like" them on Facebook you'll get their updates every time they put out the form for another free bar coupon.
Wait is it marketed as a 'nutrition bar' as a snack or as a 'meal replacement bar'? Two diff things. I'm a foodie, I prefer to eat tasty food vs a bar chalk full of 'nutrients' if I can.

The only thing close to this I use is Boost for Diabetics or Glucerna - meal replacement drinks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait is it marketed as a 'nutrition bar' as a snack or as a 'meal replacement bar'? Two diff things. I'm a foodie, I prefer to eat tasty food vs a bar chalk full of 'nutrients' if I can.

The only thing close to this I use is Boost for Diabetics or Glucerna - meal replacement drinks.
Hmmm, I honestly don't know. I didn't know there was a different actually. That makes me feel a bit better about them if they're not supposed to replace a meal. Ya know what Libby, they've only got a couple hundred calories....they almost can't be meal replacement bars. I'm still standing my ground that the first 2 ingredients shouldn't be syrups, though darnit! lol

Edit: Special K protein meal replacement bars are only 180 calories. Wow, that doesn't seem like an awful lot.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I think they are yummy but I use them for a snack or just for convenience. I also buy other brands too. The Lara is good, raw, and healthy. I also like Cliff and Luna(vegan) is my favorite.

Reactions: druthb00

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

My sister introduced me to Lara Bar - its made mostly of figs/dates and other wholesome stuff. Tasty and better for you. Gluten Free Nutrition Bars, Energy Bars, Fruit & Nut Bars - LARABAR

Libby Lara Bars Rock!!! Love them and make all the flavors now myself at home and save a fortune! I love experimenting with the different ones. But then again I am in the Natural Health field and we have a blast with these. Great for exercising , hiking etc and can't beat the nutrition factor. There are many other bars and foods I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft poll and hope to be healthy after. I am highly allergic to additives and MSG so making at home helps me immensely.

ETA : I probably should clarify I make many of my own treats due to additive allergies but Lara Bars don't have any in them. I just make those copy cats because they rock...lol

Reactions: druthb00 and Libby

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I think they are yummy but I use them for a snack or just for convenience. I also buy other brands too. The Lara is good, raw, and healthy. I also like Cliff and Luna(vegan) is my favorite.
I haven't tried those brands yet but I have them in a basket on my shelf...they were given to me as a gift. How do they taste?

HappyMama - I'd love to see your recipe for the copy cat version of the Lara Bar to please :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

Ok, I picked the free bar up today. I grabbed the chocolate chip cookie dough variety and couldn't finish it LOL. Not because it was so filling, but because it was really just TERRIBLE. It kind of tasted like the nougat from the inside of a candy bar, but not as sweet...and kind of gritty. Anywho, some of the other Zone bars looked WAY more appetizing, but my coupon was specific in that it had to be one of the cookie dough varieties. Blech!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes Lara bars are the bomb. I've not tried to make them at home yet, we just finished up the first and only box I'm actually going to buy due to the cost, but if you just google homemade lara bar recipe or something along those lines you will find the recipes. Basically they are just raw fruit and nuts ground together so you could probably just wing it without even following a recipe.

Oh and I meant to say, I'd rather eat a real candy bar with a vitamin rather than an overpriced zone or other 'nutrition' bar. I would either precede or follow it up with some cheese or almond milk or something for the protein (because soy isolate and other highly processed proteins rather gross me out.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.